Treating fin rot/columnaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
My roseline barbs (aka denison barbs) seem to have a case of fin rot. After what seems like an eternity of treating columnaris in one of my 90 gallon displays, I fear it has come back :( How do I know if their fins are rotting just because they are new, as opposed to them somehow having been exposed to a strain of columnaris? In a DIFFERENT 90 galling tank a small danio has a classic columnaris "saddleback" lesion. I removed him to QT and no no other fish show symptoms so far. The barbs and the danio are in different tanks. I can't catch the barbs as of yet....and anyway, do I just need to treat all of the main tanks (and of course the QT) now to prevent a mass casualty like I had before?!?! Ugh.....so dreading this....

I will note that water quality in all tanks is optimal: 0 amm, 0 nitrite, about 20 nitrate. Medium hardness, and pH 7.4 across all tanks. I also have separate equipment, food, nets, (you NAME it) for these tanks, and I wash with antibacterial soap between handling of gear. So how they all could have this is beyond me. I added new fish a while back after QT, but so far they look ok. All tanks are also heavily planted and all have at least one type of scaleless fish. If I do a half dose of meds tomorrow (thinking Maracyn Plus if I treat), do I just dose longer?

I totally feel like a broken record with another post like this....its been a rough year with these guys....also I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help with situations like these! Thanks in advance!:bang head: :thanks:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418891288.953436.jpg

Here Is a picture of one of the fins. It was taken this afternoon and already looks more torn...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I am medicating them now. Maracyn Plus. If anyone catches this thread, I am doing a half dose because of the scaleless eels in this tank.

They seem fine with this amount,
So should I up the dose to full? Or do I just treat with half and just double the amount of time I treat (6 doses instead of 3)?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom