Treating ich and adding fish URGENT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well the majority of the angels are in the main tank, and one angel and one ram are in QT because they weren't eating. I would have just waited it out with those two, but it's hard to make sure two fish get food out of all the others if they're not eating....going to try soaking food/shelled peas in garlic juice to get them to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also going to try and feed live food tomorrow...to try keep them eating during heat/salt treatment. Thing is, these two don't have any outward sigs of ich, but I suppose they could be stressed from it as well. The angel also has a swollen abdomen that I didn't notice when I picked him up (bad lighting and small angels...)

All was well for a few days with the fish in QT....until things got worse. They now ALSO have columnaris. White lesions (saddleback on some, others on their tails or gills). Boy did things happen fast...the heat went up to that 86 degree mark and BAM! So now I am treating with salt and heat and Maracyn Plus for the columnaris. Ive mostly lost smaller fish, the angels seem unaffected thus far (one died when I put the meds in). I have lost 3 out of 4 rams, and this last one has ich. Pretty sure all this came from the new rummy nose tetras, but I've also read that columnaris is just always around and any changes or stress can cause an outbreak. Either way...Ive got a couple fish left with some small ich spots, and 2 neons and a danio in QT with obvious marks. I had to take a heater out for the QT (I had 2 in my main tank), and now the heat won't go up past 84. The thing is heat will kill ich, but makes columnaris worse :-/ I just started adding salt....the plants will live for a few weeks like that.

I feel so bad because I didn't qt the rummy nose....lesson learned, lesson learned. QT the new fish and never buy from that lfs store again because nothing comes out of there healthy :( Super bummed......rant over.

Holy crappy situation, sorry:( I'm not much help here..I'd shift focuses to col. Though.. drop the heat, the salt and meds should help ich.. i feel like col. Is the larger evil present..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok gotcha. I left the heat at 84, but was afraid to drop it more and then have ich take over again...Maracyn plus is a sulfur based antibiotic and one other but neither specifically say they will treat ich. I'll drop the temp and see what happens. Just yesterday a couple of neons (the 4 I have left) and my only ram starting showing spots. I added salt today though, so we will see.

On another note....These meds don't say to do a pwc between treatments. Should I, or shouldn't I? All it says is add meds on day 1, 3, and 5??

That is a learning, and horrible situation. I have been there too. Now only QT! No matter how great everything looks. Hang in there.

Thanks. Seems everyone has, but darn it...this sucks. Do you keep a "sick" QT tank and a "new fish" QT tank or do I just bleach (and rinse!) the heck out of this thing after I am done treating them?

I will say that I have treated this once before. Lost a bunch of fish and then the rest made it through after meds and salt...I just really hope the angels come out of this ok most out of any of them....

well....a killifish just ate a neon tetra with a lesion...wtf these fish are giving me stress....pretty safe to say that fish is toast??? or does he have a chance? These poor guys...if they're not dying they're being stalked...

Also, I added 1 tbsp per gallon (18 tbsp) total. Will that be enough to kill columnaris? I read somewhere that it needs to be in a 1% salt bath to die....but that is a crazy amount of salt, right???

I can't answer about the salt, but to give you some hope, my angels came through the outbreak pretty well. I used Maracyn-Two.

They don't sell maracyn plus any more! I dosed a full dose day one, now today I will give them what I have left but will be out by day 3 and can't find the meds. Maracyn 2 by itself worked for you then?? Any other advice on changing meds would be great....big water change between meds I assume?

First off, I am sorry for your situation. I know it is rough when situations like this arise, especially one right after the other.
So, you have columnaris and you have ich, correct? And you have 2 fish in your quarantine tank?
You are treating with maracyn plus and with salt, and you have your temperature elevated to 84? I just want to make sure I got all the details correct. :)

Correct. The only new info is that I lowered the temp to slow down the columnaris to about 78 for now. Also I am out of meds that I was using, so I will need to switch, as I cannot find it anywhere, including online (maracyn plus)

I used triple sulfa to deal with columnaris on my EBJD, twice. I have also used kanamycin medicated flake once and it worked as well.

Sulfamethazine was an active ingredient in the Maracyn Plus so I was thinking of trying that as well. It has to be a gram negative antibiotic to work (or so I've read)....I assume the triple sulfa and the Maracyn 2 are both gram negative since they've worked for you guys. Will either product also kill ich (while I'm at it)?

Also, should I do a large water change before I add more (new) meds?

No, antibiotics will not kill ich. I do know that kanamycin is more effective in higher ph and sw so I don't think that it'd have an issue if you were salting for ich.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

What is the best way to kill the ich (which they still have) and combat the columnaris? Being that columnaris is the greater of two evils, I lowered the temp to 75. Now the ich is back because it wasn't hot for very long. There is salt in the tank at 1tbsp per 5 gallons...

Also I cannot find marcyn 2 locally. There is one shop that is closed already that might have it but I will have to check tomorrow. Should I just wait and see if the other shop has it, or try the Triple Sulfa I bought tonight? Thanks for the info everyone! I am so super stressed out about the poor fishes....

Back
Top Bottom