Treating Tetras for ICH and fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am treating 8 tetras (5 red eyed, 3 black I think). They came in a nasty tank that I bought off of craigslist. They obviously have ICH and one seems to possibly have fin rot since part of his tail is missing.

I am slowly upping the temp and medicating. I noticed something about tetras and not doing salt. Should I do salt or not?

Thanks
Jana

You can do salt with tetras.

The fin rots probably due to poor water conditions. That can be cleaned up with water changes.

What are your readings on this nasty tank?

I am not positive of the official reading. The fish arrived in a nasty bucket. They were slowly acclimated to clean water, steady temps and eventually I threw on a cycled filter.

I ran water in a bucket through her filter for a few hours and tested. We tested a tiny bit higher than 0 ammonia and nitrites. 0 nitrates and high pH. We figure that is why she had a bad algae problem for the 2 yrs she had the tank. Then all she had in it when we bought it was 8 Tetras and a pleco. The pleco didnt make it. Sad thing is she got the stuff from what I thought was a reputable aquarium store but they obviously sold her everything and gave her no knowledge. :(

Back
Top Bottom