Trigger is very active...even erratic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luntiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a juvenile trigger and he is extremely active...I do notice something that is either Ich or stratches on his rear fin. From the appearance of it, it looks like that area of the fin was damaged when swimming in and out of my aquascaping. Well anyways, he is swimming extremely erratic. Towards the front of the tank he swims from left to right and then up and down towards the corners. His swimming is extremely rapid and do it quite often. I'm a bit worried

Hmmm.... he may just be really stressed. Keep an eye on them, I had a niger that was grabbed by my black edge moray it blinded him in one eye. He went into hiding and never came out to feed. I thought he was long gone. Two weeks later I was feeding the eel, and I found the trigger. He was very skinny, but had regained his sight. Anyways IME there almost bullet proof so if you can get him eating he should be fine. Also you might wanna think about a QT in case he has ich. good luck

luntiz said:
I just picked up a juvenile trigger and he is extremely active...I do notice something that is either Ich or stratches on his rear fin.

What type of Trigger is it? There are several that have weird lateral lines near the tail fin. As far as the errattic swimming goes, maybe it is just freaked out by the new surroundings(no QT acclimation, bright lights)

I have a Picasso that swims up and down, over and over again on the end of the tank that gets the most natural light. He's been doing it for two years. It's almost like he’s hoping a hole will suddenly appear and he will be free.

If that’s the kind of repetitive motion you are seeing I find it normal for my trigger. Stress could possibly make it more erractic, but I've never been able to stress my trigger, he's the spawn of satan. :evil:

The cloudy eyes and possible ich infestation would worry me much more than the swimming patterns.

I agree with spawn of satan for trigger. I had a humu trigger and he bullied my niger but I still loved the fish. As for the cloudy eye I would take a wait and see aproach. My niger trigger had a very cloudy eye and it was puffing out some. The fish was scraping against rocks trying to get away from satan and scratched the eye. It took a shile for it to heal but finally did.

BTW Humu is now at LFS :cry: I miss his activity. Just replaced him with a black and white heniochus.

Nitrate said:
I have a Picasso that swims up and down, over and over again on the end of the tank that gets the most natural light. He's been doing it for two years. It's almost like he’s hoping a hole will suddenly appear and he will be free.

Thanks for answering my questioon. I have a Picasso Trigger and he does exactly the same thing.

he does that erattic swiming because he is driven by hunger and recognises the person who feeds him and is just anxious to get food it is nothing serious but the eye thing may be related to stress i recomend a qt

Was looking closely at my Huma and he has a coating towards the back side of his eyes that looks like clouding, although I think its natural.

Back
Top Bottom