Triggers in a reef???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read a couple of places that it MAY be okay to put certain kinds of triggers in reefs.......... and thus my question arises...

What make a a trigger not reef safe? Is it the fact that they'll eat smaller fish, any shrimp you have and pick off your hermits one by one, or do they pick at corals??

I kinda want a niger trigger in my new tank I am going to set up, I know it'll be a reef though (already spent to much $ for a light). I really don't care about it eating hermits and shrimp because that's what they eat in the wild anyways, I just don't want one that is going to pick at corals.

This is what I was thinking......
If I get a small one (a baby) and put it in the tank, and keep it well fed, and don't put things in there that I know it will eat I think I may have a fighting chance of it leaving the corals alone....... that may sound silly, but for some odd reason it makes sense to me.

Any other suggestions on how to make this work, or should I just not even open that can of worms.

thanks for any help!

The lady at my LFS won't sell me a trigger for my reef. She definitely errs on the side of caution, but she's never steered me wrong.

She's the SW bible as far as I'm concerned.

I have a niger trigger in my reef tank for about 6 weeks now and have had absolutely no problems with him picking on my corals, he never even looks at them. I do feel that he is eating my hermit crabs, but that is ok. Blue throat triggers are also said to be reef safe.

i have a niger in a semi reef....not a problem...but the second he gets hungry he goes on the prowl...just like any fish....full belly = safe corals....hermits and snails will never have a chance however lol

the june 2005 issue of Aquarium Fish Magazine actually has an article which mentions reef safe triggers. They say that the bluechin, crosshatch and Sargassum feed on zooplankton generaly and as long as they are full they dont mess with inverts. They also have a pic of a Pink tail and say that is reef safe too. i know that doesnt answer the original question as to what makes them reef safe or not, but i figured I'd throw a few more types out there if your interested

I would say bluechin, crosshatch, Sargassum & Pinktail in a reef, many have nigers in a reef. Just dont add shrimps and I do have hermits with a pinktail and it does not bother them but it will bother the snails. My pinktail has never bothered corals.

Kaye

If you really want a Niger Trigger they are one to the move passive Triggers. however they are very shy. They need lots or "dart holes". If you do decide to get one don't be suprised if he doesn't come a whole lot for a while. In the aquarium hobby there are no for sures. Each fish is an individual. It is true that if you keep them well fed then they don't much need to eat corals. But don't suprised if they nip at them. Soft corals and inverts are most at risk with this omnivorous fish. You are welcome to try. Let us know how things go.

Back
Top Bottom