Trimming Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slavo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently started a pico/nano 2g planted tank and planted Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis) in it about 3wks ago (this Friday), which is filling in nicely, spreading its runners throughout the tank. The DHG is about 4-5" tall and I was thinking about trimming it about 1".

Is it too early to trim? I've heard one should wait 3wks after planting to trim and should only trim 1" or less per trim.

My goal is to keep it maintained at about 1-2" in height.

Thanks.

If it looks heathy I would trim off what you want as it will probably promote faster spreading but I could be wrong
My theory is that the parts you cut off the plant will no longer have to use as much energy from the plant so the plant could use the extra energy to spread. Make sense?

For your first trim I'd cut it by half. Let it keep spreading and next time clip it before it grows that tall.

Is this tank high light/fert/co2? If it is, I would probably be fairly aggressive with it. If not, definitely cut off less.

Also, acicularis is pretty tall for a tank that size, as you're already seeing. It's probably the least dwarf of the dwarf hairgrasses, compared to parvula or Belem. You'll need to stay on top of it to keep it a suitable size.

Back
Top Bottom