Tropical Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmnicholas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Roughly 1.5 inches. Roughly how much should I be feeding him? I'm not really wanting to have to remove food every time to avoid stressing him but at the same time as he eats bits at a time it's hard to know how much to put in. He won't eat straight away as the food is out in

What exactly are you feeding him?

If it's algae wafers, just break the wafer in half. If it's spinach leaves, about a half an inch of leaf would be fine.

I'm guessing that's twice a day? Yesterday I dropped in a few flakes of tropical flake food and a mini algae wager - I'm guessing they're about half the size of a regular one - about 5mm in diameter, he's eaten the pellet but not the flakes so I guess that answers my question.

Is this photo good enough to ID him? He was sold as a blue lobster but from what I've read every blue crayfish is sold as that

Attachments

• image-1669561335.jpg
    image-1669561335.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 75
Mine used to eat shrimp pellets which were small and didn't dissolve very fast which was nice because it took him a while to find them. We didn't have him long though we rehomed him to start a community tank, so I don't know how sound my advice is for longterm diet!

No, you only need to feed once a day. From the picture you provided, it looks like Procambarus clarkii. However, if you can get a better picture of the top of him, we could get a better idea of his species.

Forgive my naivety, will one pellet a day be enough for the little guy?

Only feed him twice a week. id feed pellets once then a pea or piece of carrot alteritavly there scavengers and in the wild regularly go weeks without food

Forgive my naivety, will one pellet a day be enough for the little guy?

Don't be afraid to ask questions! At his size, one pellet is probably fine. The caloric needs of crayfish are very low (like 4% of their body weight I read one time). So don't be worried about underfeeding. Do worry about overfeeding and causing unnecessary ammonium levels in your tank. As he gets larger, you can increase his portion size accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom