Trouble cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitekat87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi

I’ve been keeping fish for over 20 years so I’m not a beginner, however I’ve never experienced the trouble I’m having with my latest aquarium.

I set up a 125 litre aquarium in April. My first mistake was trusting the shop employee when she sold me some bacteria in a bottle and said stock your tank straight away with it.

So it’s been over 6 months and as far as I can tell the tank has never cycled. There is still ammonia readings constantly, there’s never been a nitrite spike and the nitrates have the faintest tint of orange. If I hadn’t compared it to tap water I would say it was zero for nitrates but there is defo a slightly different shade.

I’ve even tried moving over some media from my other tank but that doesn’t appear to have worked either. Admittedly I could only move over a small amount because that is a small tank.

All the fish are fine because the ph is neutral however I’m worried that there will one day be a nitrite spike and kill them all.

The details of the tank are below and any advice would be gratefully received.

Filtration is a Fluval U3 and Eheim Experience 150

Fish are all juveniles:
3 angelfish
1 Severum
3 black skirt tetras (mature)
1 red tail black shark

I do have the back of the tank covered with live plants

I’m fed up of the constant testing and worrying about the water. I do have a small 28 litre aquarium that I could maybe move the fluval filter to and do a fishless cycle with before moving it back?

Thanks

What is the ammonia reading ?
This all seems strange being 6 months old and with plants...

That’s what I thought, none of it makes sense!

With my current test kit (nutrafin) it reads between 1.2 and 2.4. If it gets any higher than that I do a water change

Hi

I’ve been keeping fish for over 20 years so I’m not a beginner, however I’ve never experienced the trouble I’m having with my latest aquarium.

I set up a 125 litre aquarium in April. My first mistake was trusting the shop employee when she sold me some bacteria in a bottle and said stock your tank straight away with it.

So it’s been over 6 months and as far as I can tell the tank has never cycled. There is still ammonia readings constantly, there’s never been a nitrite spike and the nitrates have the faintest tint of orange. If I hadn’t compared it to tap water I would say it was zero for nitrates but there is defo a slightly different shade.

I’ve even tried moving over some media from my other tank but that doesn’t appear to have worked either. Admittedly I could only move over a small amount because that is a small tank.

All the fish are fine because the ph is neutral however I’m worried that there will one day be a nitrite spike and kill them all.

The details of the tank are below and any advice would be gratefully received.

Filtration is a Fluval U3 and Eheim Experience 150

Fish are all juveniles:
3 angelfish
1 Severum
3 black skirt tetras (mature)
1 red tail black shark

I do have the back of the tank covered with live plants

I’m fed up of the constant testing and worrying about the water. I do have a small 28 litre aquarium that I could maybe move the fluval filter to and do a fishless cycle with before moving it back?

Thanks

How did you used to cycle tanks in the past? Fishless? I also started my first tank with a bacteria starter and added fish right away. Big mistake because it also took me months to cycle. Idk why it took so long, I regularly kept adding the bacteria supplement and followed all directions and advice I could find, it still took what seemed like forever. But I DO remember never catching a spike of nitrites, just a gradual increase in nitrates. Just keep doing what your doing, took me forever too with the fish-in cycle and I lost 1 fish.

I’ve always done fish in cycles in the past just because it’s hard to find the right ammonia in the uk. However I am starting another new tank soon so was gonna try my first fishless cycle for that after buying some ammonia on amazon.

I am new but I was having similar problems to you I am currently on my fishless cycle, I put in Dr.Tims one and only into my 55 gallon tank plus his pure ammonia, I wasn't getting anywhere no nitrites at all, so I went and got seachem stability followed the instructions on the label I put this in on day 12 and on day 18 I got my first nitrite reading , now my nitrites are sky high!!!, I am still using Dr.Tims ammonia , but the seachem stability fixed my cycle, so I am now going to stay with seachem products, this was what worked for me if that's any help

Even with juveniles I'd say you sound overstocked, which might be why the levels are always high.

Really? That sucks because I used that aqa advisers everyone recommends and that says it’s only just overstocked when they are all adults. When I put in their juvenile size it says there’s plenty of space/filtration. [emoji17]

Back
Top Bottom