Trouble with Chocolate Chip Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I cut off the legs of my dieing Starfish to create more.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brianmatje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a Chocolate Chip Starfish for a few months now and he has devoloped a white blotch in one of his arms. Sources says this is a very deadly disease and ther is little u can do to prevent it from slowly killing it. I have heard that if u cut off one of its legs a new starfish will appear from that leg. I want to know if i should do this to get more CC stars out of him because he is dieng. And if i should do this does anybody know how to do it right. :(

I don't really know, but I suspect you could just take a sharp, clean scapel and just cut one arm straight off. If you cut off the affected arm probably would grow back and be fine a lond as it hasn't spread yet. I think if you cut off all the arms and leave the central disk it will grow the arms back too. If he's going to die no matter what, what's the worse that can happen? HTH

I have never owned one but I had a friend that did. It was always knocking over LR. In the end, it parked itself right on top of a large xenia colony and ate the whole thing. CC and reef=very bad things.

Back
Top Bottom