Trying my first tropical tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has she gotten bigger lately? It's possible she's just a good eater and/or full of eggs. It doesn't look like any of her scales are pine-coning. One symptom of bloat is dropsy which is often fatal, but there's no way to really tell. If her scales start popping out, then she's sick. She could be bloated too but again it's hard to tell. Is she acting normal otherwise? No gasping or hiding or clamped fins?

One thing to try is to feed the fish 1 or 2 deshelled thawed frozen peas (you can feed the whole tank, it's good for all of them); I put mine in the microwave for a minute or two then take the shell off, then mush it a bit and put it into the tank. Remove any uneaten portions after a few hours. Peas act as a natural laxative and can help if there's any constipation. Then fast the tank the next day and see how she does. I usually fast my tank and/or give them peas once or twice a week.

She acts completely normal and looks normal except the big belly and it is kind of white but the others are picking on it and only it.

I did what you said with the peas but they sunk to the bottom immediately and the fish didn't eat them. How do you get them to float?

It's actually better if they don't float. At least for me, most times they sink to the bottom but not always. The fish should find it eventually and figure out it's food. If they don't eat it soon, take it out, don't leave it in there too long, 12 hours max. Fasting alone should help if it's bloat, the peas just help things along (it's a natural laxative).

It's actually better if they don't float. At least for me, most times they sink to the bottom but not always. The fish should find it eventually and figure out it's food. If they don't eat it soon, take it out, don't leave it in there too long, 12 hours max. Fasting alone should help if it's bloat, the peas just help things along (it's a natural laxative).

They just started fighting over it at the bottom of the tank! Should I put in 1 more?

Back
Top Bottom