Trying my hand it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well here goes...

I am getting a 29 gallon marineland tank. Don't rant on and on how I've started a few threads like this just listen. I currently have decided to not have any bumblebee gobys and no. Yoyo loaches, but I want this stocking
1 apistogramma
1 German Blue ram OR keyhole cichlid(which one, and experiences or opinions?)
1 male swordtail
6 cherry barbs
4 Julii corydoas catfish
3 otos
I would like to either add
6 harqualine rasboras or phantom tetras
Or
3 guppies
Or
1 pearl gourami or dg( is it no for aggression or too laid back?
Or
2 female swordtails( will fry be an issue?
Or
1 apisto( will a pair not work with a single dc?)
Sorry, just making sure with all possibilities
Filter is penguin 200b and I'll have 2 cichlid stones, 2 small drift wood, a rock formation, 2 smaller caves, Anubis, amazon sword, and java fern!

Well here goes...

I am getting a 29 gallon marineland tank. Don't rant on and on how I've started a few threads like this just listen. I currently have decided to not have any bumblebee gobys and no. Yoyo loaches, but I want this stocking
1 apistogramma
1 German Blue ram OR keyhole cichlid(which one, and experiences or opinions?)
1 male swordtail
6 cherry barbs
4 Julii corydoas catfish
3 otos
I would like to either add
6 harqualine rasboras or phantom tetras
Or
3 guppies
Or
1 pearl gourami or dg( is it no for aggression or too laid back?
Or
2 female swordtails( will fry be an issue?
Or
1 apisto( will a pair not work with a single dc?)
Sorry, just making sure with all possibilities
Filter is penguin 200b and I'll have 2 cichlid stones, 2 small drift wood, a rock formation, 2 smaller caves, Anubis, amazon sword, and java fern!

Hi there!
Your tank is 30" wide...I know that a pair of German Blue Rams wants a 24" territory. Do you REALLY want baby apistogramma happening, or not?
I think cories and a ram will share territory if the ram is not breeding, because mine did.
What level of the tank do cherry barbs swim in? What is their recommended minimum tank width?
I would go with the 6 Rasbora because they will give you a pretty dedicated top level activity. Guppies go everywhere so your top might still look empty. Plus with only three guppies they might harass each other, in my experience.
My dwarf gourami hung out low in my tanks, FYI. And they were super shy and boring - active serpae tetra motion stressed one of them out. The tetra were not aggressive.
Do swordtails have a high bioload like mollies?
I have more feedback once I know those answers. :)

Hi there!
Your tank is 30" wide...I know that a pair of German Blue Rams wants a 24" territory. Do you REALLY want baby apistogramma happening, or not?
I think cories and a ram will share territory if the ram is not breeding, because mine did.
What level of the tank do cherry barbs swim in? What is their recommended minimum tank width?
I would go with the 6 Rasbora because they will give you a pretty dedicated top level activity. Guppies go everywhere so your top might still look empty. Plus with only three guppies they might harass each other, in my experience.
My dwarf gourami hung out low in my tanks, FYI. And they were super shy and boring - active serpae tetra motion stressed one of them out. The tetra were not aggressive.
Do swordtails have a high bioload like mollies?
I have more feedback once I know those answers. :)

I only want 1 ram. And I've heard 10 gallons per dwarf cichlid so 1 apisto and 1 ram, both females. Cherry a are mid-top, recommended to 10 gallons! Swords are about half of mollies!

I only want 1 ram. And I've heard 10 gallons per dwarf cichlid so 1 apisto and 1 ram, both females. Cherry a are mid-top, recommended to 10 gallons! Swords are about half of mollies!

Ok cool. I thought you wanted two apistogramma, and figured the territory during breeding would be similar to my rams. Sorry for being confusing!
It sounds good, to me! Of course, individual fish personalities may still throw you a curve ball. ;)
I read that GBR need six month old cycled tanks. So you may want to see about the kribensis. I have never had one of those. I love rams. It does help if you get a tank-bred ram, from what I have read. :)

Thanks, could I stil lads a school of harqualin? And as for the cichlid, I may do krib but hear they are still aggressive so Mabye a keyhole?!?

Thanks, could I stil lads a school of harqualin? And as for the cichlid, I may do krib but hear they are still aggressive so Mabye a keyhole?!?

Yes, I think you could still do the harlequins.
Do you like the look of Bolivians?
I will read up on keyholes.

The problem is you keep wanting to add more and more fish. With a 29g tank your original plan of:

1 apistogramma
1 German Blue ram
1 male swordtail
6 cherry barbs
4 Julii corydoas catfish
3 otos

Was good without being overstocked. Keyhole cichlids get to 5+ inches and are not suitable with this stock. Kribs can be terrible in the aggression department. If you ditched the high-bioload sword you could do Harlequin Rasboras which IMO is a much better choice that also gives you much more movement in a tank than a lone sword. Also Oto's do better in an older established tank so shouldn't be added for a few months down the line, same as a GBR.

The problem is you keep wanting to add more and more fish. With a 29g tank your original plan of:

1 apistogramma
1 German Blue ram
1 male swordtail
6 cherry barbs
4 Julii corydoas catfish
3 otos

Was good without being overstocked. Keyhole cichlids get to 5+ inches and are not suitable with this stock. Kribs can be terrible in the aggression department. If you ditched the high-bioload sword you could do Harlequin Rasboras which IMO is a much better choice that also gives you much more movement in a tank than a lone sword. Also Oto's do better in an older established tank so shouldn't be added for a few months down the line, same as a GBR.

Rivercats gives really solid advice all the time, and has awesome tanks. :)
Why not try the stock she listed and see how you like it?
The sword IS high bioload!

Thank! And I wasn't meaning to add a keyhole, I was saying if he ram didn't work Mabye. But anyway, I guess I never realized the bioload if swordtails! I'd rather add some harqualine

Thank! And I wasn't meaning to add a keyhole, I was saying if he ram didn't work Mabye. But anyway, I guess I never realized the bioload if swordtails! I'd rather add some harqualine

Cool! So if you plan to add the ottos in say month four and the GBR in month six or seven...you could have everything set up really well. :-D

So here's stocking order

6 cherry barbs- right away?
4 Cory cats- monthish later
1 apistogramma- 2days after that
6 harqualin or 3 swordtails- 2 days after
3 otos- month 3
1 German blue ram- month 4-6?
How's that?

It's only a 29g and sorry but cherry barbs get good sized as do swords so it's limited. You can do what you want, it's your tank, but think of the health and well being of the fish.

So it is 30"x15"x21"?

I researched a bit and your swordtail will reach 5 - 6 inches (including tail).
The cherry barbs reach 2", do best in groups of 6-8, and specifically call for a lot of swim space.
Both say that the minimum is 20 gallons, so I am guessing that is what you saw too.
The thing is that my Opaline Gourami is 4 1/2 or 5 inches and she wouldn't have much swim space in our 29.
When I had a school of serpae tetra in it, they seemed crammed too - swimming right to the glass on both sides.
So I think you will have happier fish, and more fun viewing them, with the 37 gallon.
When you lay out your decor, be sure to allow lots of swimming at the appropriate heights.

I'd really hope I can get a 37. If I do, can I do

6 cherry barbs
1 swordtail
3 otos
4 Julii Cory's
1 apisto
1 gbr
Mabye a school I harqualine or a dg?

Back
Top Bottom