trying to go the inexpensive way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imustbenuts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am considering adding corals to my tank. However, I have heard some here talk about broken pieces of something that will grow what is in them. Does anyone know what I am trying to say?

Well, I am going to venture you are talking about "frags". Essentially, they are smaller parts of larger coral parent colonies propagated by aquarists when they want to sell, trade, share, or thin out their colonies. Methods of removing the frags include cutting, breaking off pieces, etc. and I think that is where you are getting the "broken pieces" idea.

Some LFS carry them, but it may be easier (and cheaper) to join a local reef club that hold meetings and often trade or sell different corals.

and if you can't join a reef club, you might try places like www.aquabid.com or check the classifieds section further down the main forums page, as many members here sell equipment, plants, frags...even fish!

I'd recommend starting off with a book first. Eric Borneman's "Corals, Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History" beofre you venture too far.

one thing to add

when you add corals try to get some GAC running before hand to remove unwanted toxins etc that the corals can release.

I could not see any tank, equipment description in your profile, so I do not know what you have. Make sure your lighting is sufficient for corals. Stock lighting that comes with most tanks, is not.

If your from San Deigo theres another great forum that I visit aside from Aquarium Advise called sdreefs www.sdreefs.com theres a bunch of us that frag and trade within san diego so check it out. good luck

If you tell us a little bit about your setup we could better guide you to corals that would be suitable for your setup. Frags are a great way to go as they help to conserve the reefs by spreading the wealth among local reefers so that we don't need to harvest as many from the wild. A commendable solution to starting your reef.

I will say local reef clubs are the absolute best way to get new frags.

WOW! Thanks for all the great advice. I will check out sdreefs.com. I am a newbie so I haven't quite figured out how to add pics and explain my setup. I will check out the book as well.

My tank is 29 gal and about a month old. It has gone through its cycle and things are starting to come alive in the live rock. I have brown, red, green, white, pink, and purple growing on my life rock as well. I'm not sure what all of it is but I am enjoying it very much. I find myself just sitting in front of my tank starring into it with wonder and excitement. My inhabitants include, 2 damsels, 1 clown, ~8 hermits, and 6 snails. There were 12 hermits and 12 snails but some didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom