Trying to lower ammonia but tap water has high levels? PLease help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vundercoverdog

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been treating my betta for a torn fin but i check levels and they're not getting any lower it reads .5ppm ammonia, 7.4 PH, 0ppm nitrite, and 10-20 ppm nitrate. I've added aquarium salt into the tank to help my betta regrow his fins and i've been doing water changes. The tap water reads- 1.0-2.0ppm ammonia, 8.4-8.8 PH (!!!) 0ppm nitrite, and 0ppm nitrate. What can i do to lower ammonia ?? is salt effecting the water?

vundercoverdog said:
I've been treating my betta for a torn fin but i check levels and they're not getting any lower it reads .5ppm ammonia, 7.4 PH, 0ppm nitrite, and 10-20 ppm nitrate. I've added aquarium salt into the tank to help my betta regrow his fins and i've been doing water changes. The tap water reads- 1.0-2.0ppm ammonia, 8.4-8.8 PH (!!!) 0ppm nitrite, and 0ppm nitrate. What can i do to lower ammonia ?? is salt effecting the water?

You've got a couple things here worth addressing. First, that's a lot of ammonia in the tap water...but not unheard of. Problem is that ammonia becomes more toxic at high pH levels, so it's important to keep the ammo neutralized after water changes while the bio-filter consumes it. Luckily your tank seems cycled, so the ammonia should steadily drop. What I'd suggest is making sure you have Seachem Prime or API Ammo-lock which will temporarily detoxify the ammonia for 24-36 hours. Since large pwc's only make the problem worse...I would add a dose of the Prime every 24 hours (without a water change) until the ammonia stays parked at zero. After that I would advise small water changes done often instead of large ones less frequently. That way you're adding lower doses of ammonia, and the bio-filter should be able to consume it before the Prime wears off. Of course, if you can get another piece of established filter media...for now that will help reduce the ammonia level faster.

vundercoverdog said:
i have ammo chips will that suffice??

I'd really suggest picking up the Seachem Prime to use as your dechlorinator / ammonia detoxified. Problem with the ammo chips is that they absorb the ammonia instead of detoxifying it. By absorbing ammo, they become a competing source with the beneficial bacteria and will establish a weaker bio-filter down the road. Things like Prime temporarily convert ammonia to a non-toxic form...but it stills leaves the ammonia available for the beneficial bacteria to consume and feed on. The only good use I've ever seen for ammo chips is putting them in a bag when fish are being shipped so the ammonia doesn't build up during transit.

I'd really suggest picking up the Seachem Prime to use as your dechlorinator / ammonia detoxified. Problem with the ammo chips is that they absorb the ammonia instead of detoxifying it. By absorbing ammo, they become a competing source with the beneficial bacteria and will establish a weaker bio-filter down the road. Things like Prime temporarily convert ammonia to a non-toxic form...but it stills leaves the ammonia available for the beneficial bacteria to consume and feed on. The only good use I've ever seen for ammo chips is putting them in a bag when fish are being shipped so the ammonia doesn't build up during transit.

Ohh thanks for clearing that up for me :p I was wandering if the salt would affect the water parameters, i've been adding 2 drops of melafix every 2 days for my betta aswell.

Back
Top Bottom