Trying to make mineralized topsoil-have a few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey out there,

I'm setting up my 75 gallon to be a planted community tank. Was going to try to use gravel and fert but have decided to go with mts as I am not paying over $100 for eco or aquasoil.

couldn't find any bag soil that wasn't mostly peat and other misc. organics. Even the cheap stuff.

Went to a nursery and bought a load of their bulk topsoil they use for lawn seeding etc. It has no "known" additives.

did the soak and spread out on tarp but it is very clumpy and won't spread easy.
the guy said it would have clay in it. It appears to have a good amount of grey clay already. So, question is should I skip adding the clay part of the process? Or is it normal to have heavy, thick clumpy stuff.

also, have heard rexolin APN is a good micro, and have found it only at a singapore website:
LUSHGro - Rexolin APN | Eco City Hydroponics Singapore Online Store

I hope its real and it only comes from a liquid from them. Was thinking of adding to the dirt when I make the goo to put in tank. Anybody know where I can get this in US?

Also, where can I find potash and dolomite?
Please give me any comments on this.

i dont know much about planted tanks but i didnt go threw all that. i just bought a big bag of kitty litter and toped it with sand and called it a day.

I haven't a clue what to tell you. You should try doing a search on mineralizing soil. I did some reading on it before I set up my 220 gallon. But I went with organic soil, not Miracle grow like many use, but a good organic soil that I have used in the garden for years. It's main ingredient is peat along with other organic materials and will leech tannins but has a great nutrient base. It was pretty cheap considering the size of the tank but I did cap it with Eco-complete. Not alot of people do dirt tanks but I know you can get some information. The only thing that would worry me is not knowing exactly what is in the soil. At least in organic soil you get a listing of the natural materials in the soil mix. I did have to fill and empty the tank each day for 7 days due to tannins but on the 8th day planted. The growth in the tank has been amazing. Oh, I just openned the bags and put the organic soil in the tank. Some people like to remove any larger pieces but I used it just as it came out of the bag. Then the eco made for a nice dressing and an easy medium to plant in. It also kept any dirt mess from getting in the water column. Good luck and I'd like to hear how you finally do the dirt. Not many of us around that I know of.

Finding the right clay/dolomite/potash can be tricky. I found a local garden store with potash but have to order in both pure dolomite/camg(co3)2 and carbondale red clay powder. If you are in the states I can send you some for a few bucks depending on how much you need. I've put several mts tanks together in the past.

I wouldnt add a micromix to the soil directly, just dose it as-needed later on in a more controlled fashion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom