Trying to set up first planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightingale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, not exactly the first, but the only plants in my betta tank are java moss and anubias, which I haven't had any problems keeping at all. I've done some research but am still a little conflicted, especially about what substrate to use.

I want to set up a low tech planted aquarium, 36 gallon bowfront. All plants will be low light plants, but I want it to be pretty heavily planted. This is my first real step into aquascaping, and I have pretty specific ideas about what I'd like it to look like when it's finished.

Plants that I've considered keeping so far are creeping jenny, anubias, java moss, water sprite, java fern, water wisteria. Fish that will for sure be going into the tank are 7 long-fin black skirt tetras, 4 kuhli loaches, and a bristlenose pleco, IF the pleco won't bother the khuli loaches and the plants (the fish are from tanks that I am downsizing from). The filter on the tank currently is an aquaclear 20-40, which I'm willing to change or add another filter to if needed, I've never used that kind of filer before.

My specific questions right now are:

1.) Lighting. The light that I have is a 15 watt T-8 full spectrum fluorescent. Will I need to replace that bulb? Is 15 watts enough?)

2.) Substrate. I like the look of black sand. My original plan was to use standard black aquarium sand and use root tabs for any plants that are root feeders, and dose the water with appropriate amounts of liquid fertilizer for other plants. Would this be ok? Or is aquarium sand too dense for roots to grow well in?

At least one person has suggested I "dirt" the tank. I would like to avoid this if at all possible, because in about 8 months I probably will be moving again and from what I understand, dirt has the potential to be a mess and not something highly recommended to people just starting with planted aquariums. I wouldn't be opposed to using some other kind of substrate like floramax or something else under the sand if this would help.

3.) Drift wood. I would like a medium to large sized, interesting piece of driftwood. I am aware that a lot of driftwood needs to be soaked before it will sink. Malaysian driftwood, on the other hand, does not, but tends to leach a lot of tannins into the water which changes the water color and will alter the ph which might not be good for all fish... Do you think that Malaysian driftwood would harm my fish in this case?

4.) Nitrogen cycle. Can I put my plants and driftwood in first, and then complete the nitrogen cycle before adding fish? Or should the nitrogen cycle be completed before plants are added as well?

ANY advice from people who have done low tech planted aquariums before would be appreciated. I know there are various different ways to go about it, I just want to hear the different ways in which people have been successful, and I would like to avoid doing anything that is going to kill a lot of plants and fish.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for so much text in one post!

1. You'll definitely need more light. T-8s are pretty awful for lighting planted tanks. How deep is a 36 bowfront?

2. I have sand in all my tanks with plants and haven't had issues although I'm not exactly a planted tank guru. Root tabs and ferts with sand should be fine. Probably not the best option but it will certainly work.

3. You have tetras, kuhlis and a bristlenose- all of those fish will thank you for the tannins :lol: They all prefer softer water and lower pH.

4. You can add everything but the fish and then cycle. Plants will consume ammonia and nitrate but if you dose enough it won't be an issue.

The listed height is 21 inches. What kind of bulb/fixture should I be looking to upgrade to for low light plants? Someone else told me that their t-8 did ok but only for low light, and I think their tank was smaller than mine. They mentioned a t-5 but said I would have to replace the light fixture if I wanted a different bulb because a t-8 was the only bulb that would fit in it.

Do you think there is another option for substrate I should consider trying or researching further besides just sand?

Thanks for your response!

At 21 inches deep I think you'd need a T5 or an LED to get enough light to the substrate. Maybe this fixture might work? Robot Check

I don't know much about substrate as sand is all I ever use. All I can say is sand will work but there are plenty of great plant-oriented substrates out there.

At 21 inches deep I think you'd need a T5 or an LED to get enough light to the substrate. Maybe this fixture might work? Robot Check

I don't know much about substrate as sand is all I ever use. All I can say is sand will work but there are plenty of great plant-oriented substrates out there.

+1,should be plenty of light for a low maintenance setup..

sit in silence...

Are LED's better than fluorescent light fixtures? LEDs have been suggested to me before but I've never actually seen them in use, except for the really cheap ones that come with really small tanks.

Are the bulbs easy to replace when they burn out? On the 55 gallon I was keeping at home, we had a horrid time trying to change the light bulbs (very long fluorescent bulbs), the fuses were always going bad and the light bulbs were difficult to get put in just right.

LEDs don't have to have their bulbs replaced- they're supposed to last more than a decade. That's why I prefer them to fluorescents.

That sounds like it would be pretty great. If that light will work for plants it looks like it would be a good deal... there are some reviews on amazon from people saying it did well for their low light plants.

That sounds like it would be pretty great. If that light will work for plants it looks like it would be a good deal... there are some reviews on amazon from people saying it did well for their low light plants.

I have a larger version of that same light for a medium-light low tech 55... works great!

Awesome :) One final question about the actual light... the official measurements for the tank say it's 30.25 inches wide. A 30 inch light fixture would still fit that? Correct?

Also, does anyone know of any low light carpeting plants? I know I could spread the java moss out over the bottom of the tank, but if there's anything else that could be used as a carpeting type of plant in low light, I would love to know about it.

Yeah, the edges of the light that fit onto the side are adjustable.

Can't help you with the carpeting plants.

Thanks, that helped a lot. I'm going to order the new light tonight so I can go ahead and maybe get some plants when I go to get driftwood and substrate!

Low tech and carpeting plants are kind of contradicting. I think the closest youll get to a carpet in low light is probably a moss carpet or dwarf sag

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Thank you. I thought it might not be possible... I might get some dwarf sag and see if it will grow. I'm not sure if there will be enough lighting. I have plenty of java moss already growing that apparently is nearly impossible to kill.

I'm debating on going ahead with using just plain sand and root tabs, or trying EcoComplete as a substrate...

From what i hear eco is hard to get thin root plants to anchor. I have fluval stratum and its super light and am having the same issue. Even with dwarf sag they get kicked around. My plecos swim around and play soccor with my microswords. (Ripping out all my microsword and dwarf hair when my crypts grow in.) my dwarf hair is somewhat anchored and is growing sending runners thru the substrate but im not getting anywhere near the results i wanted as i originally wanted to carpet them and theyre not flourishing. If youre patient im sure its possible but from my experience id advise against it. Dwarf sag wouldnt be a problem tho IMO.

From what i hear eco is hard to get thin root plants to anchor. I have fluval stratum and its super light and am having the same issue. Even with dwarf sag they get kicked around. My plecos swim around and play soccor with my microswords. (Ripping out all my microsword and dwarf hair when my crypts grow in.) my dwarf hair is somewhat anchored and is growing sending runners thru the substrate but im not getting anywhere near the results i wanted as i originally wanted to carpet them and theyre not flourishing. If youre patient im sure its possible but from my experience id advise against it. Dwarf sag wouldnt be a problem tho IMO.

Do you have any ideas about what would be a better substrate instead? I've also heard kf floramax, but other than that im not very familiar with what kinds of plant substrates are available. Or do you think I would be better off trying the sand and root tabs? Also, do you think my single bristlenose will uproot or destroy my plants? I wasn't sure how much of a problem that would be.

Hi, this is turning out to be a great thread. When I ordered dwarf sag, that I thought I'd be getting a short 1" type carpet plant, but it's not! it's 8-9inches tall, not at all a carpet plant and it was not what I wanted. Just incase you didn't know.

Sorry I can't help with the pleco or substrate question. I haven't had any probs with sand and root tabs.

Thanks! No, I didn't really know that. I'll be looking at the approximate sizes and care for all these plants once more again before I actually make a decision on what to purchase, but I don't think I've ever actually seen dwarf sag in person. I love my local fish store, but they don't have a lot growing in the way of live plants because most people around here don't keep them, so I will likely be ordering most of them online.

Maybe I could use dwarf sag as a mid-ground plant or around one side of the tank. Any plant that will grow and spread would be nice, because if anything ever outgrows my tank and I want to trim back, I have a friend who keeps a 55 and wants to do live plants eventually, and I'm sure she would gladly take any extras.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom