Tuberculosis? **Update**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must be missing something, what am I looking for? Sorry if I am blind, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

A "curve" in their abdomen (I dunno what you call it on fish). Only one I myself see is in the one lab I have pictured.

Personally I don't see anything to worry about. I've had a fish with an internal parasite and it was very skinny. Noticeably so. If it were me and the fish is eating and pooping fine I wouldn't worry.

If you will see...

From the pelvic fins the the anal fin there is an inverted curve
as seen in these pictures

img_785456_0_668a5eb0c55f7dca7370fac303311a5f.jpg

img_785456_1_e15b11d410325c4afeeca593d8c3402a.jpg

also the but-hole (dont know what u call it) comes to a point.

I did see the curvature but still don't think of internal parasites. It is possible that there is some illness there, but it is beyond my personal experience. As I stated I personally don't see anything I would worry about if the fish eats and acts fine and has normal poo. I will do some research and hopefully someone with more vast experience with illnesses will chime in their opinions.

The fish that I had that had internal parasites had a sunken in stomach from the sides. When you looked at it from the top it had a big head and a paper thin body.

I was going to mention that as well; definitely not the usual look of a cichilid. How long have you had them? If they are feeding well I would also suspect a parasite; that hollow belly is concerning.

4 weeks, about. I am starting to feed them larger amounts, just in case that is the problem.

Fish Tuberculosis

Symptoms
Includes: wasting away, shrunken stomachs, occasionally skin infections, spinal curvature deformity in advanced cases.
\

Treatment
Difficult to treat because it attacks intracellularly and multiplies within macrophages (the fish's own defense system). Try a strong antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate or streptomycin. Euthanasia must be considered in bad cases.

Read about it here: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html

Look at the pic of the german blue ram, the stomach looks similar to the stomachs of your fish.

The only thing in conflict with the TB conclusion is this.

Various: anorexia/refusal to eat, lethargy, hiding behavior, "hanging", clamped fins, loss of appetite, general constitutional signs.

Yet your fish are active, eating, and digesting fine.

Treating..

Difficult to treat because it attacks intracellularly and multiplies within macrophages (the fish's own defense system). Try a strong antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate or streptomycin. Euthanasia must be considered in bad cases.

I would also wear some protection. Better safe then sorry.

Fish tuberculosis (though not transmitted by the same species that causes human tuberculosis) can be transmitted as zoonosis called "fish tank granuloma" on hands with open wounds (see photos, below). Use gloves if reaching in the tank with suspect animals. M. marinum can be a serious skin infection in people! If a rash such as this developes, especially if you have a marine aquarium, make sure your hobby is known to your doctor. Read this article for more info.

Marc118 said:
The only thing in conflict with the TB conclusion is this.

Various: anorexia/refusal to eat, lethargy, hiding behavior, "hanging", clamped fins, loss of appetite, general constitutional signs.

Yet your fish are active, eating, and digesting fine.
[/quote]

My thoughts about this would be that this is not an extreme case... just yet. Lets just wait and see how it progresses or if it even progresses. They may be just fine. You never know. No need for concern at them moment IMO. Just keep a close eye and see if any deformities arise, or if any of the symptoms above show up.

I would say that WaterPond is more than likely right that it is more likely to be TB rather than internal parasites. If it is indeed anything. The lack of other symptoms either indicates that there is nothing wrong or that it is just the beginning of a disease. How long have you had the fish, and were they purchased from the same place?

Not purchased from same place. I've had the labs and 1 zebra for 4 weeks, 2 blue ones (dunno what they are) and another zebra for 3 weeks, and my two bumblebees for 1 week.

WaterPond said:
Zagz said:
I would say that WaterPond is more than likely right that it is more likely to be TB rather than internal parasites.

I was the one who suggested it might be internal parasites in the first place :oops:

IMO it is better to try and help than to say nothing. The best case scenario would be that you are completely wrong and the fish grows fine and old. If you are right and something is wrong, the heads up may save the fish's life. Just my 2 cents.

Zagz said:
WaterPond said:
Zagz said:
I would say that WaterPond is more than likely right that it is more likely to be TB rather than internal parasites.

I was the one who suggested it might be internal parasites in the first place :oops:

IMO it is better to try and help than to say nothing. The best case scenario would be that you are completely wrong and the fish grows fine and old. If you are right and something is wrong, the heads up may save the fish's life. Just my 2 cents.

If you even think there is a possibility of TB, be very careful. Remember that Fish TB can be contracted by humans, so play it safe and wear gloves, avoid skin contact and under all circumstances, prevent contact with open sores on your hand and body.

Back
Top Bottom