Turbo Snail Dead??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FynFysh818

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think my turbo snail is dead. He is in his shell and there is a hard like covering in the shell. It is also green. At first I thought it was a hermit in in the snail shell but, its not.

Is my turbo snail dead? How can you tell if snails are dead?

Do you mean he is closed up? His door is pulled tightly closed? If so, chances are it's still alive. A dead snail won't close up. Also, if you have hermits in the tank, if the snail was dead, they'd be busy cleaning him up and moving in. He may be stressed. Perhaps fell and and is collecting his bearings. Turbos are notorious for flipping upside down without being able to right themselves. This will cause them to close and if you don't right them, they will die and/or be easy targets for your hermits. HTH

yeah it does...I took him out of the tank to see if he reacted when i touched him, but he didnt. He is tightly closed. So I put him back in the tank to see if he will open up again.

I thought he just might be really stressed out. If the hermits start to clean him up I will know to remove him. THANKS!

I am quite new to this, so maybe someone will jump in and see if I'm correct but we've had a couple of snails die and they SMELL bad! Next time you pick him up, smell him.

DJ

That's true, a dead snail will stink and that's a good way of checking snails before adding them to your system but, once in your system, a dead snail isn't gonna last long. I've never found a dead snail in my tank, just empty shells. Also, a snail has to hold that trap door closed, if it's dead, it won't be able to do that. So, typically, a dead snail will not be closed tight.

Sorry to say everyone, but my snail was in fact dead. I came home from classes today and found my hermits eating him and he stunk. Not to worry though, I have to other snails in the tank and they are doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom