Turnover rate 180 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 180 gallon reef setup. My sump currently has the fluval sp4 return pump rated at about 1900 gph. I feel it's a bit weak and I should have a stronger pump. My skimmer is a vertex in 280 and I want it to work to its best capacity. Any advice is appreciated.

Just make up the extra flow with some powerheads . The flow thru the sump is fine . I'm using 1200 gph return on my 180 . I actually just went up from a 950 gph return . Should be perfectly fine with that return imo .

How large is your sump? I have a 55 gl sump and use a mag 7 for a return. you want a slow flow through your sump this gives the skimmer plenty of time to work.

+1 on above.

You want flow through your sump to be moderate to low. This'll give any equipment/macro algae the time they need to do their jobs

The recommended flow rate through a sump is 5x - 10x the tanks water volume. If your pump is rated at 1,900 GPH at 0 head, once you take head loss into consideration (the amount of flow a pump looses as it pushes water a certain distance), your probably just under the 10x flow rate.

I think your return pump is fine. As for slow flow in the sump, it does not matter, slow or fast, your skimmer will pull out the same amount either way(unless it's way too slow, of course). As long as your skimmer is in contact with your water and the return pump is faster than the pump on the skimmer, it's doing it's job.
I'm using a pair of mag 9.5's on my 300 gallon reef and have no trouble with it. Less gph than you are using on yours....

Back
Top Bottom