Turtle identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobertY

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased two turtles about one inch long. The look like red eared sliders but without the red ear. If anybody can help me out on identifying them I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• image-2896200097.jpg
    image-2896200097.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 177
  • image-3531876841.jpg
    image-3531876841.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 184
They are yellow eared sliders. Aquakai has one if you need any info on them, she is very helpful :)

Actually they're called yellow bellied sliders and yes I have one if you need any info about them or any other turtle:)

They are red ear sliders. Many times the red is orange or yellow. They may color up with time and proper care.

Here is a picture of the bottom markings.

Attachments

• image-2501728743.jpg
    image-2501728743.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 138
They are red ear sliders. Many times the red is orange or yellow. They may color up with time and proper care.
no its not. i had a red eared slider and have seen tons in pet stores. thats not one

Is the color showing up correctly in your photos? The picture on the right definitely looks like an RES. Interesting that you were able to buy them that small. My grandpa had one that lived to be about 50 (bought it tiny for my dad as a little kid). The turtle was actually willed to me, but it didn't outlive my grandpa. She started out about that size, and was about the size of a paper plate (which is apparently small). Hope you're ready for them to get big and messy.

Yellow bellied sliders and RES look almost exactly alike except the RES has a red "ear" and the yellow bellied slider doesn't. I'm pretty sure that the turtle is a yellow bellied slider because that's what mine looked like when I got it. Males get between 8-10" which is what that turtle was. I don't know the other turtles sex because you haven't posted a picture, but you're going to need a 60 gallon min with lots and lots of filtration!

AquaKai said:
Yellow bellied sliders and RES look almost exactly alike except the RES has a red "ear" and the yellow bellied slider doesn't. I'm pretty sure that the turtle is a yellow bellied slider because that's what mine looked like when I got it. Males get between 8-10" which is what that turtle was. I don't know the other turtles sex because you haven't posted a picture, but you're going to need a 60 gallon min with lots and lots of filtration!

Here is the picture of the other turtle

Attachments

• image-1112647900.jpg
    image-1112647900.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 109
That looks like a female. They get to about 10-12" long. For your tank for happy turtles I would do 75+ gallon aquarium. Just pm me on post on here for any question as I have a yellow bellied turtle as well:)

AquaKai said:
That looks like a female. They get to about 10-12" long. For your tank for happy turtles I would do 75+ gallon aquarium. Just pm me on post on here for any question as I have a yellow bellied turtle as well:)

Thanks for the info. How can you tell what sex they are?

Their shells. Males have caved in shells where as females have flat shells. A very useful tip because most websites will say you have to wait until later to see tail and nail sizes but I think that this is an easier and quicker way of telling:D

Just wanted to add this as well. I see that you have provided them with a light from the first two pictures that you've posted, is it UVB? They need that and calcium for a good shell. Just wondering because infant you to have happy, healthy turtles:)

That looks like RES, just light in the red. Yellow bellies do not have a big yellow mark the exact size and shape of the red ears of a RES. I haven't seen as many yellow belly hatchlings as RES, but I don't remember yellow bellies having as many markings on their bellies. That stomach matches RES.

I am not sure how accurate that sexing is. I have heard of that for box turtles because the males need a concave stomach to stay on the females while mating, not a big issue in the water.

Fishguy2727 said:
That looks like RES, just light in the red. Yellow bellies do not have a big yellow mark the exact size and shape of the red ears of a RES. I haven't seen as many yellow belly hatchlings as RES, but I don't remember yellow bellies having as many markings on their bellies. That stomach matches RES.

I am not sure how accurate that sexing is. I have heard of that for box turtles because the males need a concave stomach to stay on the females while mating, not a big issue in the water.

The sexing may not be the most accurate but it usually ends up working out and I haven't had any issues with it.
Here's a few pictures of my adult yellow bellied slider that has the same exact markings as the hatchlings

Attachments

• image-2729960390.jpg
    image-2729960390.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3476120268.jpg
    image-3476120268.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image-644843664.jpg
    image-644843664.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1367407268.jpg
    image-1367407268.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3268793244.jpg
    image-3268793244.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 79
That is not the same. That goes down toward the jaw line and is crooked and narrower. On the pic in the original post and on any RES it is thicker, straighter, and goes straight back towards the shell. Similar, not the same.

How many turtles have you sexed with that method and it was accurate into adulthood?

Back
Top Bottom