Turtles for a 38 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishstuff45

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I have a 38 gallon aquarium. It has a quite flow 55 filter and a heater that keeps the tempature at about 78 degrees. I was wondering what kind of turtle i could get. Id like to still have fish which would probablly be pictus catfish and angels. Are there any turtles that i could get and if so what kinds?
Thanks

i would get a red slider they are quite good but im no expert

I have a red eared slider in a 55 gallon with Cichlids and they all get along great! however my turtle will eat any fish she can catch including catfish gold fish and others in the past. Also you would eventually you would have to upgrade bc they can get to be as big as a dinner plate! I have to upgrade soon just make sure if you do get a turtle it has a nice area to bask

Before you jump into buying a turtle, look up their setups, regarding lighting requirements, diet, care and setup, as your current setup probably would be in appropriate to house turtles. Everyone seems to be jumping on turtle bandwagons at the moment, and I would heed you all to stop. Even the setup in the previous pictures although it looks nice and may be working for the owner, would be by most keepers, be deemed completely inappropriate. They are a lifetime pet most living over 50+ years and may require high priced vets bills if you want to keep them that long. Please do some thorough research before considering this.

Turtle tanks should have open tops, to allow free movement of air and not allow any condensation to build up. They need to be kept at specific temperatures, water land and air humidity all at different levels depending on the species of turtle. Equipment such as lights can be costly and should be replaced every 6months to a year.

Lots of research will show you also any full grown turtle will be too big for the tank, so you will be upgrading if you get one. It may take them long periods to grow but just like we recommend with fish, think of adult size and requirements rather than baby size when purchasing. A dinner plate size turtle for example will need alot of room, even some of the smallest, musks for example grow to around 6-10" round. That's still large, so think of the hiding spaces and room something that large would eventually need.

Hope it helps; research research and more research please people.

Nomadu571 said:
Before you jump into buying a turtle, look up their setups, regarding lighting requirements, diet, care and setup, as your current setup probably would be in appropriate to house turtles. Everyone seems to be jumping on turtle bandwagons at the moment, and I would heed you all to stop. Even the setup in the previous pictures although it looks nice and may be working for the owner, would be by most keepers, be deemed completely inappropriate. They are a lifetime pet most living over 50+ years and may require high priced vets bills if you want to keep them that long. Please do some thorough research before considering this.

Turtle tanks should have open tops, to allow free movement of air and not allow any condensation to build up. They need to be kept at specific temperatures, water land and air humidity all at different levels depending on the species of turtle. Equipment such as lights can be costly and should be replaced every 6months to a year.

Lots of research will show you also any full grown turtle will be too big for the tank, so you will be upgrading if you get one. It may take them long periods to grow but just like we recommend with fish, think of adult size and requirements rather than baby size when purchasing. A dinner plate size turtle for example will need alot of room, even some of the smallest, musks for example grow to around 6-10" round. That's still large, so think of the hiding spaces and room something that large would eventually need.

Hope it helps; research research and more research please people.

You defenetly brought up a bunch of good points , I know I need to upgrade soon, but everything else I got, I have adequate lighting for her basking area, there in no lid on top where the lighting is giving it adequate air flow and keeping it from becoming too humid, the basking area is kept at an adequate basking temp. So other than the tank size I have her perfectly accommodated. I've had her for 7 years and never been healthier :)

Flipmikeskater3 said:
You defenetly brought up a bunch of good points , I know I need to upgrade soon, but everything else I got, I have adequate lighting for her basking area, there in no lid on top where the lighting is giving it adequate air flow and keeping it from becoming too humid, the basking area is kept at an adequate basking temp. So other than the tank size I have her perfectly accommodated. I've had her for 7 years and never been healthier :)

I wasn't making a dig, I'm sure as I said all is good for you as you have posted. I just wanted new owners to know what's involved, rather than think you can just chuck them in the tank with fish and alls fine. I'm reading more and more turtle posts recently and noticed alot more shops stocking turtles, and I can just imagine people getting turtle advice from shops equivalent to "run the filter in for two days then put fish in" or "one inch of fish Per gallon". These things they will kick themselves for when they lean what's really involved in turtle keeping, like giving them all the things owners like yourself do.

To bring it back to my point, lol, I just want to make the poster aware they require a completely different setup to fish so marrying the two isn't as easy as dropping one in and see how it goes. I was in no way personally commenting on your setup just using it for the point I was making.

Back
Top Bottom