Two filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msweet13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just reading a few articles on this site that recommended using 2 filters. I currently have a HOB filter that came with my kit. Ive read conflicting reviews regarding it's efficiency. My tank is only a few weeks old so I cannot make any claims but was wondering if I should invest in another filter? If so, would I want another HOB filter? I read it's best to buy a filter advertized for a tank twice the size you have, if this is so, would I want the second filter to be meant for a tank twice the size I have, the same size of tank, or smaller?

You can never have enough filters! Haha. I use two aquaclear filters for my 30 gallon. An aquaclear 50 and 20.

The Aquaclear looks good according to amazon reviewers. Does this one have the bio wheel I keep reading about? Is this the brand you would recommend? Also, my tank hood does not have space for another filter, should I just cut it?

The type of filter you get really isn't a big deal, if you get one that works and holds a nice amount of media that's all that matters.

On all my 28-29's I run 2 50g HOB filters. Most are aqua clear but I do have a couple marine land and I have to say I prefer the AC's way more. If you can afford a canister, depending on tank size, that may be the best route, but if it's something 30g or under I'd go with an HOB. I'm not a fan of internals because of the amount of space they take up.

My 2 biggest reasons for running multiple are: 1. Just in case on breaks down I don't have to rush out and buy a new one right away, the tank will stay cycled though it may go through a mini cycle because you are losing some BB with losing 1 filter. And 2. In case I decide I want to start a new tank I can pull an established filter off one and cut cycling down by a lot on the new tank. I can either run the filter that came with the new tank on one of my existing (or the new tank) or I can just purchase a new one at the store when I have time/money for it and it not be an issue.

Thank you for your replies. I think I will get an aquaclear. I like the filter media much better than the cartridges that mine came with. Personally I do not know how mine filters any water since it's designed in a way that the water can completely bypass the filters.

The Aquaclear looks good according to amazon reviewers. Does this one have the bio wheel I keep reading about? Is this the brand you would recommend? Also, my tank hood does not have space for another filter, should I just cut it?

No it does not have a biowheel, that's the marinelands, but from my experience biowheels are junk. I just shove my filters full of filter floss and that holds plenty of BB for biowheels to not be necessary, they don't even turn for me 1/2 the time anyways.
Aqua clear like I mentioned is definitely my favorite. I've tried many HOB & internal filters before these and nothing compares. I've seen a lot of people review that they make a lot of noise but I have to say I've never experienced that except during priming and on a couple that didn't have enough biofilm on the impeller yet, but adding Vaseline helps till they build it up. My only complaint is how wide the openings on the intake are, but a prefilter sponge solves the problem.
Cutting the hood works. I don't keep hoods on my tank so I don't know if it's possible or not, but I'd assume it can't be that big an issue.
You could always go with a canister to solve that problem as well

get a sunsun cannister filter from ebay for 40 bucks... its a great filter . i run 2 rated for 125 gallons eack on my 75 ....you can drink the water

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom