Types of sands, help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlemeno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a tank i just resealed, i want to put sand as the title says.

I do not live close by a petstore and live within a few miles of a HomeDepot, Menards, and other hardware stores. I have read numerous threads of sands, but i do not know which would be the "proper" grain size for my tank.

I am setting up a 30 Gal, the fishes i have already and am holding in a seperate tank are 5 Zebra Danios, 3 Black Skirt Tetras, 3 Otos, 3 Ghost Shrimp, and 1 Angel fish.

Any suggestions, and help will be appreciated, im heading to the stores tomorrow so i can cycle the sand and tank. Feel like the fishes are cramped in their current tank.

Pool filter sand is the best option for a light-colored substrate, or black diamond blasting grit if you want a black substrate. Larger grain size is better, pool filter sand is sifted and graded for a uniform particle size. Unlike playsand it doesn't compact tightly, so it's less likely to develop anaerobic areas. Larger particles are also easier to siphon w/out sucking out the sand along with the water when you do partial water changes.

Back
Top Bottom