UFO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a Spotted Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus leptocephals) to me.

Moving to I.D. forum

I agree on the ID.

They do a great job keeping your sand looking white and beautiful... only problem is that they will devour just about all the microfauna in your tank (pods).

Yep, that is what it is,,, I have one and I will tell you,, no shortage of microfauna here... although I wouldn't have more than on in less than a 55 gal tank or they would for sure.... See mine?

My Watchman Goby

timbo2 said:
I have one and I will tell you,, no shortage of microfauna here...

Lucky you... we had a single orange spot that practically decimated the entire pod population of a mature 175 gallon reef in less than a month. :x

(Cryptocentrus_leptocephalus) or the Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby should not be confused with (Amblyeleotris guttata) the Orange Spotted Goby..

Orange Spotted Gobies have a terrible reputation of decimating tanks of benthic creatures such as pods, mysis, and worms...This is their main diet...

Pink Spotted Shrimp Gobies do sift sand, however are more carnivorous. Mine stays mostley in one area of the tank and eats meaty prepared foods...

I don't consider myself lucky, I have seen many Pink Spotted Shrimp Gobies alive in tanks and no shortage of microfauna experienced...

Note: This is my experience and observance and not that of all fish keepers....

timbo2 said:
(Cryptocentrus_leptocephalus) or the Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby should not be confused with (Amblyeleotris guttata) the Orange Spotted Goby..

Orange Spotted Gobies have a terrible reputation of decimating tanks of benthic creatures such as pods, mysis, and worms...This is their main diet...

Pink Spotted Shrimp Gobies do sift sand, however are more carnivorous. Mine stays mostley in one area of the tank and eats meaty prepared foods...

I don't consider myself lucky, I have seen many Pink Spotted Shrimp Gobies alive in tanks and no shortage of microfauna experienced...

Note: This is my experience and observance and not that of all fish keepers....

I guess I can file this under the "you learn something new every day" category. :) I had been under the impression that all sand sifting gobies would deplete a tank of beneficial microfauna, thereby decreasing the effectiveness of a DSB.

Thanks a lot.

about how big do they get?

This is off topic a little bit but is it OK to have 2 lawnmower blennies in one tank 230gal or will they still fight?

Back
Top Bottom