Ugghhh... I hope this isnt fish tubeculosis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently, i have noticed that two of my fish, a cherry barb, and a zebra danio, have very curved spines, and are not eating. They're in a 24 gallon tank at the moment, im guessing i should quarintine them? Im hoping there is some other disease that can show these symtoms. There only half a year old, so it couldnt be old age. Ive looked at a bunch of disease charts, but all i can find with these symtoms is fish tuberculsois. There have been so many problems with my tank ever since i set it up, even with weekly wate changes, that im thinking about tearing it down comletely, disinfecting it, then seting it back up, hopefully killing whatever is causing this wide range of problems. Oh ya, Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 20. For now i just wont put my hands in the tank, just in case.

It is very hard to diagnose TB, as there could be any number of causes of the symptoms. Definitely QT the three who are not eating. It may be best to euthanize them at this point. You definitely do not want to let nature take its course in your main tank as this will perpetuate the infection after healthy fish feed on the dead.
The favored meds for TB and other internal bacterial infections are kanamycin and tetracycline, but even these are not effective against advanced internal infections when dosed in the water of your tank. Medicated food is more effective but hard to find. Aquarium products makes a gel based tetracycline food, but some fish won't recognize it as food or may spit it out. It may be best to add the gel food to your regular food. Add one drop per large flake and allow to dry before feeding. The gel food needs to be refrigerated.

Sorry, that was a bit confusing, should i euthanize them, quarintine them, or fine medicated food? I think if there is only a very small chance i could save them i should euthinize them.... What exactly should i do? The fish arnt eathing so i dont think medicated foods whould work.. Should i quarintine now?

Is their color fading as well? Seeing curved spines in fish such as guppies and mollies are not unheard of because they sometimes they are inbred and not fully developed. In otherwise healthy fish like yours, I would suspect either TB or Neon Tetra Disease (which doesn't only infect neon tetras). I would QT and treat with Kanaplex if you can find it.

http://chat.thatpetplace.com/Produc...ions/T1/F62+0343+0129/EDP/24198/Itemdy00.aspx

Like Apocalypse_Gold said though...if it is either, they seem to be too far advanced to save at this point. Euthanizing may be a option to consider if they don't get better quickly with any sort of treatment.

Here are some euthansia options.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=76451

btw, what have been your other problems? Seems like you are getting bad livestock, in my opinion. :? Likely not your fault.

7.0 why? Do you think i can wait till tomorrow to quarintine? Or should i do it now? I dont think ill be able to get that medicine in time. And i also dont think i can find it anywhere.

Other problems: Recent at the top
Internal parisites (tape worms?) still not gone. Not eating, lethargic red swellings VERY Skinny
Unknown casue deaths of gouramis (2) No symtoms whatsoever except lethargy
Different unknown death of gourami. red sore on head and hole in fin close to body.

And now this... Blah

EDIT: The Cherry Barb now looks like its drunk wobling back and forth, but this could be becasue its to weak to withstand the filter current. I cant do anything now, ive got to go to bed, but i wont be able to sleep becasue ill be wrried... EERGG

The ones that are doing the worst should probably be euthanized. You will probably still want to medicate the other fish, as they may be infected but not showing symptoms yet.
For the internal parasites, Jungle, New Life Spectrum and Aquarium Products make anti-parasite foods. The AP food is gel based. I've had the most luck with the Jungle food. Finicky fish may avoid until they get hungry.
Malnutrition can cause curvature of the spine and malnutrition can be caused by internal parasites, making diagnosis of TB even more difficult.

Well, the barb died, i just hope we got it out fast enough that no one nibbled... Should i euthanize the danio? Hes really looking bad... Barely moving at the top, and his spine is even more curved... As for the others, i have medicated food, its like tetramedic or something, but the problem is it doesnt help the fish that wont eat. They wont eat anything, not even frozen bloodworms.

Uh oh... I just looked at the dead one.. someone nibbled its tail, ill definately medicate the others to.

This is a tough choice. Since you don't know who may have nibbled on the barb, the disease may have spread to most if not all of the others.

Have you tried garlic as yet? I'm not sure of the exact formula for it but treating the food with it stimulates the fish's appetite. Dipping in garlic oil may work to get them to eat.

Well, i got the jungle anti parisite food, because i think that the spinal probs is malnutrition. I got the food not the water med because the zebra danio (quarintined) is on its way out, and the food should be more effective for the remaining fish. There is one fish however, (another barb) that is not showing any of the symtoms of the curved spine cases (spine, wobbling) except for the not eating part. Im pretty sure it has tape worms because there are little red bumps on its skin as though something is trying to push its self out. The jungle food is kinda big, so all of it doesnt get eaten, doesnt SOME of the medication soak into the water, therefore being absorbed by the fish through the gills? Im hoping gthis is the case so that this guy can get a little help.

You will need to crush the pellets. I actually got a pepper grinder to make it fast and easy. It makes it kind of small but most of it still gets eaten.

Seems like you are getting bad livestock, in my opinion.

wow, that would be my guess of what the over all problem has been. seems like you've had a lot of problems, fishygurl :(

also, if you think you have fish TB make sure you are wearing arm length rubber gloves preventing yourself from getting infected, as i'm sure you already know

Ya, i think it was malnutrition caused by the internal parisites, as neither of the or the curved fish showed the other symptom of color changing accossiated with TB. Yep, ive had alot of problems with my fish. Its so unfair, that people cna just throw like 30 fish in a tank with no reasearch whatsoever, and they'll all live for 5 years. Now, those of us who actually do reasearch, seem to have waaay more problems. It must be bad stock, because all my rescued fish are thriving. This was the last straw, im switching LFS's as of now.

I hope so.... I thought the fish were improving, until i went and looked and saw one of the cherry barbs in the cories cave where she NEVER goes, barley swimming. None of the curved spine stuff, just lethargy, not eating and red sores as i described above. I dont expect her to last the night really, but, well see. The others seem to be improving though.

Back
Top Bottom