Uh Oh...What the heck is going on??? Levels are climbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is 4 weeks old tomorrow, and for the most part I think I've had good luck.

I was hoping to introduce a new fish this weekend, but now, I'm not sure...

My Amonia levels over the past few days are creeping up. My Nitrates have remained a constant .25ppm. My Ph has also been a contstant 7.8 starting with tap water and dechlorination. It was at this time I noticed my water had a GH of 13. My Amonia was about .25ppm with 4 leopard danios.

Over the past 2 weeks, I have been introducing RO water to lower the GH. And so far it's been successful...From 13 to a current 10. Nitrates are still .25, and Ph 7.8.

I noticed the Amonia creep up from .25 to .50 and so I used a little Ammo-Lock and done a 1 gal water changed every day, the past 3 days including gravel vacuum.

Today test shows my Amonia up to 1.0!!! After all the clean water, gravel vacuum, RO introductions...I even cut back on feeding a bit.

Am I finally getting a true cycle, or am I headed for danger? Shoudl I do a larger water change tomorrow, say 3 gals?

Help please!

As far as I understand the cycle is not truly complete for a couple months...it is just you should see the stablizing at 4 weeks.
and cycling may be longer or restart with mesy fish, medication...yadd-yadda.

As far as my own tanks go..i usually only see wavering of Nh/No if something has gone dreadfully wrong. Even my overstocked tank never has readings of ammonia/nitrites worth posting..even with my sensetive kit for potable water.
I am sure ammonia is present but the filter is effecient for the current bioload.
Your nitrate level is one that usually prompts me to unscheduled changes if in mid-schedule. But any real ammomia readings (read as anything past .05) have me scrambling to head off a cyling disaster. I do a 50% each week with a 20 inbetween for the most part. My overstock and sensetives get an upgraded treatment.
I notice you mark it in gallons...it should be whatever the amount that makes readings drop and stay pretty much at that. Specially with weekly changes.
And I can't see 1 gallon amounting to much in such a newly cycled tank unless it is a 5 gallon tank..... I am not sure how many or what size you have right now; but Im pretty sure it was bigger than 5.
Get those levels down quick!

It is 16 gal. With decorations and plants, it's probably closer to 14.5. I think I may go for a 3-4 gal water change tomorrow.

Thanks for the response.....Anyone else?

Okay, something bizarro is going on :cry:

Last night I decided to not feed the 4 fish until the morning, seeing what the water would like like this morning when I got up after I added 1 more gal of RO.

Measured at roughly 6:30am this morning, approx 12 hours later after no feeding. Amonia levels crept up even more...from 1.0 to 1.5!!!! 8O

I added Ammo-lock immediately, and will do a substantial water change tonight, upwards of 4 gal which is pretty close to 25%.

Anyone have any theories? I know this may seem dumb, but I think I'm gonna test the RO water I'm getting tonight as well :?: Maybe, just Maybe there's something 'fishy' with that?

Please post your nitrite reading. What test kit are you using for ammonia and what is the name of your dechlor/water conditioner that you are using?

My nitrite level still registers at .25ppm and has not budged.

I'm using Aquarium Pharm testing products. It has the duel regeant bottles...8 drops of each solution, mix, and wait 5 minutes.

Dechlorinator is Bio-coat from Marineland and/or Bio-Stress from Aquarium Pharm as well.

BTW, Menagerie....thanks for all your prompt advice and interest :)

You're more than welcome!
I was confused about the .25 reading for nitrite, you referred to it as nitrate earlier. Do you have numbers for nitrates as well?
Doing water changes will prolong the cycle, but save the fish. Since you are going with a fish cycle, a 25% water change is in order.
A cycle can easily take 6 weeks and a tank is not considered established until about 6 months or so.
From what I am reading, your ammonia is still climbing and you are starting to see an increase in nitrites.
Here's how a cycle should go: Ammonia increases, spikes, decreases. Nitrites begin climbing, spike, decrease. Nitrates show up (up to 40 ppm is tolerated by most fish). After a tank is cycled and becoming established, ammonia and nitrites should always be around 0/undectable and you will get nitrate readings. Nitrates are basically plant fertilizers :D
How are the fish acting?

You are correct in that I stated Nitrates earlier. I meant Nitrites, and I don't have a test for nitrates....got confused with the spelling.

The fish seem pretty well for the most part. I have one bully danio that seems territorial of the whole bottom of the tank. Any other fish who decides to skim the bottom he chases or actualy body-checks. But other than that they all seem fine and active.

Glad to hear the fish are well.
It would be a good idea to get a nitrate test, because then you will be able to see how the cycle is going.

Update:

Came home with another gal of RO knowing that I was going to do a 3-4 gal change. I'd have to make up the remaining water with treated tap.

I walked in at 4:30pm, and noted that my water went from crystal clear this morning to a very noticeable foggy/cloudy makeup with a slight discoloration. Also noticed a very trace/faint smell, but very faint. All this is 10 hours!! 8O

I immediately brought out the siphon and extracted 4 gals of water and even more debris from the gravel. Added water back in, and about 3/4 Tbsp of aqaurium salt.

I'm so hoping this is the natural cycle of my tank just getting started, albeit late. Water already looks clearer with the water change....we'll see what the next few hours bring.

Looked at filter media, and it's barely worn, has a patch of gunk/bacteria about the size of a quarter right now. :|

Darn, I was soo looking to getting a new fish on Saturday, but that doesn't look like thats about to happen now. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom