Un5tab1e's first reef adventure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Un5tab1e

Aquarium Advice Freak
uploadfromtaptalk1409053915439.jpg
Well this is my first step into saltwater. I have 3 boys 8,10 and 11 and this is our project. We don't have a large budget.
I have my gravity in the target area and the water has warmed to about 78 degrees. We just ordered 35 pounds of live Gulf rock and should have it by Thursday.
At the moment we are just going to use the Eclipse 3 hood and filter and this 29 gallon aquarium. Could someone suggest a decent powerhead for this tank? I know things aren't ideal but, they are really excited to get this show on the road lol.

If you're looking to keep corals.
You'll also need a reef compatible light.
Look up "Reef LED" on eBay, we call them Tao panels. They will support anything you'd like, and aren't expensive at all.

As for a powerhead.
You're aiming for 30-50x turnover in a reef tank.
Look at a jebao WP-10. They come with controllers and everything. They have options to provide variable flow for reefs, and aren't very expensive either. I use two of they wp-25 models on my 55, and I love them.

Welcome and good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a dual pack with twin controller. As for the lights. There are so many. Are there any specifics I'm looking for?

Great choice. I love my dual controller and that will be so much flow. It's definite that you have success the way you listen.

As for lights. The way the panels work they have two sets. There is the blue/white version, which has LEDS that are blue and white. Then there is full spectrum, which provides a variety of colors in the white spectrum channel.
They will not affect the corals, it's just person preference.

Yes, this is something I very much want success at. That's why I came here. I'll listen, research and take what advice I can get from successful reef keepers.

I hope they are because I bought the exact one a few hours ago.

My live rock arrived. I'm not satisfied with my aquascaping lol

Sent from my One M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1409251662836.jpg
    1409251662836.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 205
  • 1409251676602.jpg
    1409251676602.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 1409251687249.jpg
    1409251687249.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 1409251698101.jpg
    1409251698101.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 242
Wow those rocks are REALLY live! Lots of good stuff on them:) where did you get it from?
I'd suggest maybe putting both the rocks on the ends down flat, and then putting the middle rock leaning up against one of them, and then the little rock on top of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah the rock has a lot of stuff on it. I haven't identified everything I've seen yet. A few white worms (bristle worms) I'm pretty sure and several encrusted clams. I was hoping I'd find a crab or starfish tagging along but, no luck on far. The rock has only been in he water a hour or so though.

So now to start my cycle. Do you guys think just the rock stewing will get it started? There are several dead worms and I'm fairly sure a turkey wing clam is dead.

Nice article. I may have to get some dry rock later. There are so many living turkey wing clams on this rock is hard to place without putting something on top of one.

More pics

Attachments

• 1409303278580.jpg
    1409303278580.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 206
  • 1409303289421.jpg
    1409303289421.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 1409303300294.jpg
    1409303300294.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 1409303310584.jpg
    1409303310584.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 190
I always find placing your rock in the right place takes a few months just get it in start your cycle and once you start stocking it will come to you ... It's sometimes a bit of art work ?

Wow! I didn't realize how stubborn people are until I found this thread. Your off to a great start! I would suggest putting a store bought raw shrimp in pantyhose and let it rot for like a week. That should start your cycle nicely.

Do you have any plans for live stock yet?

Good Luck!

It's OK. I've never really had much luck in the forum community. The ones that do weigh in I very much appreciate it. I started this to journal my adventure and to get input from you guys.

Livestock wise... A good cleanup crew of course (I'm not sure when I'm supposed to add those. Before or after cycle).. A pair of clowns and yellow clown goby are what I've been looking at. My gf wants a seahorse but, I don't know much about them.

It's OK. I've never really had much luck in the forum community. The ones that do weigh in I very much appreciate it. I started this to journal my adventure and to get input from you guys.

Livestock wise... A good cleanup crew of course (I'm not sure when I'm supposed to add those. Before or after cycle).. A pair of clowns and yellow clown goby are what I've been looking at. My gf wants a seahorse but, I don't know much about them.

Seahorses are a lot harder and special needs. They do best in species only tanks. I would put the cleanup crew in after the cycle.

You do things so differently in the states .. But most people only give you there personal experience .. It's like all forums it's nice to be able to read it but only take a base of knowledge and add your own flavour ...

Back
Top Bottom