Under 'Gravel' Jets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am interested in setting up a FOWLR tank. I am still in the research phase and considering different options. I have been reading on the need for water movement. i have read, in a freshwater forum, about under gravel jets. It basically a series of PVC plumbing buried under the substrate with jets sticking up through the substrate. The water is supplied via a powerhead or the pump from the sump. See link:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

I am curious has anyone used these for a SW tank? Will the help or hurt LS or LR?

Thanks for your input. I am learning a lot for everyone here.

Franka

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

I have not done them, but provided they are not pulling the water through the sand (as I understand it it doesn't), it seems just another water delivery system. I personally wouldn't do it, cause you would have to tear the tank and the sandbed up to service it, if needed.

True. I hadn't thought about that. Though, what kind of service would it require? Does the delivery hose from a sump require a lot of service?

The only other draw back would be that the current would be always in the same direction - unless the jets were the swiel type.

Though, what kind of service would it require?
Return lines can become caked with detritus, bacterial slime etc,...eventually restricting flow. Most recommend cleaning them out yearly, although IME, people do it when they notice a decrease in waterflow.

Back
Top Bottom