Undergravel???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't had tanks in years and I am still in the process of setting up my tank new tank. I feel like I am going old school here. Because it seems like nobody is using them anymore. I feel kinda like everything I used before isn't even touched now. Here is the set up I plan to use (and honestly it is the only I always used with beautiful results granted it was on a 55g).
37g tall
undergravel filter with 3 lift tubes
400gph powerhead
air stones in the others 2 lift tubes
Air pump for a 20-60gs
Topfin 40 HOB filter which is 200gph

I am also going to add another HOB, I am just a bit out of the loop and I need to do more research on what would be the best.
Does anybody else still use undergravel filters?

OMG no stay away from undergravel filters..
They are massive nitrate traps and then push up excess ammonia. This type of filter WILL kill your fish. Throw it away and invest in a canister filter or a good Biolife clip-on depending on your tank size but more importantly for the type of fish you have.

It would work as long as like any other set-up regular partial water changes and the use of a gravel vac. A undergravel is just that, to be used with medium gravel not with sand or some of the smaller gravel. When used correctly it gives you a huge area for beneficial bacteria to grow. You just must be certain to vacuum at every water change. Another option is using a sponge filter along with your HOB. But sponge can be unsightly and also require to be rinsed out, you would still be vacuuming any ways. Nothing wrong with your idea, good luck.

Just read you want to incorporate plants. The type of substrate neccesary for a successful planted tank will not work with an undergravel filter. Besides the constant aggressive vacuuming would impede your plants proper root growth. So scrap the UG if your using plants.

Hello flit...

Nice to read the posts of some of the old school water keepers. The UGFs aren't used much any more. There are many better alternatives. The HOBs (hang on the back) are inexpensive and most brands are very reliable. I've use Hagens for years and they've never failed me.

I have a 38 G tall tank that's very similar to yours. If you want a nicely planted tank, the UFGs don't work well. They can easily clog up and then you have water chemistry problems. The HOBs will work fine.

Powerheads to move water for gas exchange aren't needed because the HOBs will do that job. Same with air stones, the small bubbles they produce do little to aerate the tank. So, with no air stone, there's no need for the air pump.

Standard filtration with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of at least 4 times the volume of your tank is plenty. Just remove and replace half the tank water every couple of weeks and you're good.

B

Back
Top Bottom