Unexpectedly new cichlid keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, my newest 55g had finally fished cycling a few days ago, and I was planning to go tomorrow and get a few tetras to get it going, but I was surprised by a friend of mine who thought it would be "nice" to give me 2 fish for my birthday. Well, as you can tell by the title, my up and coming tetra tank will no longer be intended for tetras, as I now am the proud?(we'll see) owner of 2 African Cichlids (that's all he could tell me about what they were). He also got them at Wal-mart, so I don't have much faith in their health, but I couldn't tell him that. Anyway, for right now they are by themselves, and if they do well, I may get a few more, and figure out what sex I have now so I can get the right ratio. Any tips on cichlid keeping would be great, because all I know so far is to keep the ph up, which it naturally is about 7.8 from our tap.

Here you go. I went ahead and moved my young Sydo from my 10g, but he eventually will end up in a 75g. And, please, nevermind the lack of background, I was going to get that tomorrow with the tetras (still am).
img_1189653_0_3019c2535bcb1a6fcb05955b63acb902.jpg

img_1189653_1_41ba28317e106fbf2f46a59d8b78d96f.jpg

img_1189653_2_bdf85264b6c3ff3b839862928a324a6e.jpg

img_1189653_3_4fef893d1d12c0c236fbdc5860838a80.jpg

As you can see, they have already built a little cave in the back corner. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on that so the rock doesn't slip.

Are they both the same? I couldn't tell if that was the same fish, or two different ones. Looks to me like Kenyi. Those are pretty simple to sex. Once they start maturing, the males turn a yellow or brown color, sometimes almost orange. The females stay light blue with dark blue bars

OK, cool. So, if that's the case, then I have 1 and 1, as one stays vibrant blue all the time and the other is yellow with flashes of blue from time to time. I can't tell if it is actually changing colors or if the light hits it just right for a blue tone to pop out some times, but it is definately yellowish most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom