Unhappy boxfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jemzz1988

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My boxfish is unhappy and keeps spitting water out of my tank :( can anyone help. Hes in with
Hover cowfish
Tube worms
Ph is normal
Amonia is very low
I water change evey week

Please help!

First, what size tank??

"Ammonia very low??" It should be absolutely at zero!! Both cowfish & boxfish are considered difficult/expert care level creatures, and require near perfect conditions. When stressed, either can release a toxic compound that can nuke your entire tank....

EDIT: Please read up on these guys....

http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?w=cowfish

Last edited:
Both those fish get to be over 1 foot in length and quite wide as well. In a 90L or 24 gal tank, they won't physically fit when they grow. Who sold you those for such a tiny tank?
As they get stressed (and they will) they will release toxins into the water poisoning everything. Anything you do now will be a band-aide for ongoing problems. What are your nitrate levels at right now because predators are poop machines.

These are in a 24 gallon? IF so, they need to go, or they are going to die.

First, I would like to meet the knucklehead who sold these to you, BUT.... there are two sides to every coin. LFS people do get tired of hearing the "I know what I'm doing" attitude when they ask questions, and figure if you buy fish of that caliber, you know what you're in for.... caveat emptor.

The golden rule of saltwater is research, research, research before anything goes into your tank.....

Back
Top Bottom