Unhealthy gills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankNo.1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, can anyone identify what's wrong with the gills on the Platy in these pictures please? One of my platys has already died with similar looking gill inflammation. It's a 10 gallon tank with 5 cardinal tetras, 5 neon tetras and (now) just 2 adult platys (also a floating breeder box with 17 Platy fry, just a few weeks old). The platys are new to the tank, had the adults about 4 months. All other fish appear healthy as usual, water readings all as usual.

With the first Platy showing the same problem I treated for 1 week with melafix and pimafix but no improvement. Inflammation increased and eventually that Platy died. Really want to I.D the problem before I lose another Platy to what looks like pink swollen gills, no other visable symptoms at all.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions please everyone! I've had this tank for about 6 years and never seen a problem like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 164
Pink gills

Second photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 85
Pink gills

Third photo...

...sorry, I can attach only 1 photo per post, I don't know why! :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 112
Do you have a test kit, what are your water conditions. It appears to me your overstocked IMO.
Ammonia poisoning... Not sure.

Back
Top Bottom