Unhealthy Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter2009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

My pleco had been very healthy until it jumped out of my tank yesterday. I was able to get it back into while it was still alive; however, it moved very lethargically. When I got it back into the tank,other fish started biting at it until it found a hiding spot. When it came out earlier today, there didn't seem to be much damage; however, I just noticed its left side is now turning a red color. In addition, the dorsal fin is now mostly missing with the exception of its spines. Finally, the anus has also turned a red color.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to help or what may be wrong?

Thanks!

First thing I would do it put him in qt to protect from the other fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Brenna,

I have an empty 10 gallon tank that I'm going to use as a quarantine. Is there any treatment I can use once its in there?

That's a good question. Plecos are sensitive to meds and salt so maybe just monitor to see if anything gets worse before making that choice. Maybe someone with more illness experience could help if you post pics?
Also I wouldn't put a light on him for now. Might aggravate him more. Just maybe offer a sideways flower pot for a cave so he feels comfortable.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

This is all very sound advice...I would also suggest keeping the quarantine tank dark as it will be less stressful for your fish. If it jumped out of your tank, the fall could have caused some internal injuries as well as damaging his dorsal fin. You will want to make sure water conditions are pristine and hope for the best. This is not an illness but an injury...quarantine along with pristine water will give it the best possible chance of surviving.

How far of a fall did your fish have? How large is your Pleco?

Back
Top Bottom