Unhealthy Teacup Sting ray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Inftyskn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have had out Teacup for I would say 2 - 3 months. usually he or she would be all over our tank. pretty frisky, but yesterday I noticed that it was kind of sluggish and when I touched it it didn't run away. then today I noticed that it was behind the castle. I had to acually scoop it with my hand to the middle of the tank where there is more room to swim but he still hasn't moved much. now his fins are flaring upward. I check the PH and it went down a little but not drastically. no recent water changes. nothig really new is going on with them. If anyone has seen this before please help me make him better. :cry:

[center:c773cb4893] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Inftyskn! :n00b: [/center:c773cb4893]
I can't tell what's wrong with the limited info. The following is our standard Ill Fish form. Please answer all the questions to the best of your ability (some of it will be repeated info, just bear with me :wink:). In the meantime, a water change may help. For now, do a 30% PWC.

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

When you say the fins are flaring upward do you mean they are curling upward. Not sure if you have heard this but it is called the Death curl or curl of death, but its the sadiest thing. My pap witnessed it with my first ray. I bought a sick ray and within two weeks this was the result the fins will curl and the ray passed on. The cause is unknown and they will inenvitably die. I have a new ray now for two months so what ever questions you have I will try and help. First thing I would do is isolate the ray from any other fish for the time being, the less stress the better.

Back
Top Bottom