Unidentified Swiming Object...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben Jay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Could you please help me identify the type of fish below. It was the only 1 of its kind at the pet store and even they didnt know what it was!

Ive never seen a picture of one, Ive never seen another one in any pet store.

He's about 2.5 inches long

Can you help?

4.jpg

2.jpg

Does it sit with it's nose pointed at a 45 degree angle to the ground? I think I saw one like that, but sadly it wasn't marked either.

Hi All,

I posted on a few forums and have just found out that its a Panchax. Thanks anyway...

Initially I thought that might be the case so I went on to answers.com and got these descriptions:

Panchax
Any of various small, brightly colored Old World tropical fishes of the genus Aplocheilus and related genera, often kept in home aquariums.

Killifish
Any of numerous small fishes of the family Cyprinodontidae, including the guppy and mosquito fish, inhabiting chiefly fresh and brackish waters in warm regions.

Jchillin said:
The definitions are interchangeable...the Panchak belongs to the cyprinodontidae family, of which all killifish belong.

Your right, I just found a site with a comprehensive breakdown on the mystery fish.

Looks like Fluff got it right first time, apparently its a 'Golden Wonder Panchax'

Common name: The Golden Wonder Panchax
Scientific name: Aplocheilus lineatus
Synonyms: Panchax lineatum, Haplochilus lineatus, Aplocheilus rubrostigma, Aplocheilus affinis, Haplochilus rubrostigma, Aplocheilus vittatus, Aplocheilus rubropictus, Aplocheilus lineolatus.
Origin: Found in Asia - mainly India and Sri Lanka.
Size: 10cm/4"
Water chemistry: Tropical;neutral to slightly acidic and soft is best.
Diet: These fish will take live foods and flake foods although insects are their natural food in the wild.
Aquarium: 90 x 30 x 30cm/36" x 12" x 12" is the minimum size recommended for one pair.
Stocking: Males are territorial towards each other and so are females. However, it is possible to keep several pairs in a tank as long as the tank is large enough.
Temperament: Although a predatory animal it is believed that the Panchax only attacks sick or weak fish in the aquarium. Even so, it is best to keep them with similar sized species.
Breeding: This is a plant spawning killifish, eggs hatch after 12-14 days and the fry a large enough to feed on baby brineshrimp when they first hatch.
Notes: This interesting species is surprisingly cheap in price and would make great specimens with several pairs as the only fish in a tank. Exercise caution when choosing tankmates for this species - similar sized tank mates should be fine but I would be wary of adding smaller specimens - just in case they start disappearing!

Sweet profile...look at all those synonums, it's no wonder why confusion would exist. And yes, Fluff is really good at ID'ing stuff. When I don't know what it is, I usually ask her. :D

Back
Top Bottom