unique nitrate problem. need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRIFTER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a my 120 gal sw tank for about 2 years. I bought it used and transfered the setup it had to my house. When we did this we changed about 85% of the water . After tank was up and running nitrates were alredy through the roof. I have never been able to get it under control and about 1 year ago i moved the tank and in doing so i did another almost 90% water change. After filling up all perammeters were ok except the nitrates. they were still off the charts reading bright red. Wat can i do?

It seems that water changes have no effect because i have changes almost all the water and it didnt help.

im using tap water that i ttreat and add salt to. I tested the water before putting it in and the nitrates tested 5 ppm

Im soooo frustrated

I assume your test kit is working correctly since your tap measured at 5 ppm and your tank is off the chart but have you verified your readings with another test kit or the lfs?

What stock do you have in the tank? How often/what do you feed? How often and what % do you do pwc?

What type of filtration do you have? Another consideration is if there are sponges on intakes or any kind of media, they need to be rinsed out occasionally. Just changing the water won't do it if there are things that can hold the dirtiness. Bioballs, especially, are nitrate factories, as an example.

yea i had a hard time getting my nitrates below 20 , but after i took the advice of some of the members here i took out all the media and pads out of my cannister filter and added lr and now my nitrate is nearly 0 for 5 nonths now

Test kit is ok. I tested ro from the fish store and it was perfect .
I have 3 tanks and they all have the same problem.

My 120 gal has a wet dry with bio balls and filter floss. I change the filter floss at least every 3 to 4 weeks. I currenly have 3 green chromises , 1 clown , 1 wrasse and 1 sand sifting goby.

I feed the fish flake food and i try not to over feed but a lot of food does end up on the floor or in the filtration.

There is your answer. First feed sparingly then feed every other day I have fed mine every other day for 8 yrs with no problems. Feed so none remain on floor of tank. You might need a good clean up crew to get what does escape the fish.

I agree it’s not only the wasted food that falls to the bottom but also because you mostly feed flake which IME doesn’t get eaten as vigorously as frozen fair does by either the fish or a clean up crew. Do you have a clean up crew i.e. hermits, snails, or shrimp?

Any food that isn’t eaten in less then 3 minutes is too much IMO. See this post for more on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom