unknown deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
another fish died today. i dont know whats killing them. a few days ago a platy and 2 guppies died and today my tetra died. the tetra was missing his stomach, eyes, and tail. and my platys and guppies basically had the same thing: torn fins. i dont know what to do. im getting my water checked tomorrow. my other fish look fine but yesterday i thought my tetra was just fine too. what do i do? any suggestions what it could be? possibly a fin-nipper?

Sounds like an attack on them.
Sorry for your loss. I too lost one last night.

Sorry to hear about your loss:( .... as soon as you know your parameters, let us know. If you don't already, get the API test master kit. Have you done any changes to your tank in the last week ... filter, gravel etc?

Sorry to hear about your loss:( .... as soon as you know your parameters, let us know. If you don't already, get the API test master kit. Have you done any changes to your tank in the last week ... filter, gravel etc?

okay i will im going to get them checked today. the only change ive done is a partial water change.

kathleen55 said:
oh im sorry. and i removed my betta just in case it was an attack and she isnt going to go back in the community tank.

Thanks. Lost a guppy this morning too.
Hoping the rest will pull through.

How are yours doing now your betta has been removed?

kathleen55 said:
aww do you know whats getting them? and mine seem all okay today

At the moment nope.
The moral of the story is don't buy fish from pets at home.

the tetra was missing his stomach, eyes, and tail. and my platys and guppies basically had the same thing: torn fins. i dont know what to do. im getting my water checked tomorrow. my other fish look fine but yesterday i thought my tetra was just fine too. what do i do? any suggestions what it could be? possibly a fin-nipper?

finding dead fish missing fins, eyes, stomach may not necessarily be due to aggression. a lot of non-aggressive fish will snack on the body of a dead fish. any damaged fins on your living fish?

this sounds like it could be a water quality problem or something toxic to fish is getting into the water. give any buckets, containers and sponges etc used during your water changes a good wash with hot water. check any ornaments or coloured stones in your tank for signs of paint chipping.

i hope that the rest of your fish will be ok

Back
Top Bottom