Unknown foriegn growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinafina

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have driftwood and noticed this new white flurry growth growing on it. Can anyone identify it?

staticmap

Attachments

• image-834418345.jpg
    image-834418345.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4265744749.jpg
    image-4265744749.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image-649954215.jpg
    image-649954215.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 55
That's planaria. It comes from overfeeding.

Some fish will consume them and they don't cause harm. But you definitely don't want them to overrun the tank.

Hard to say from the pictures, but from your description it could be a type of fungus. However, some of the photos look like they could be hydra. Again, hard to tell from the pictures. Did you boil the wood?

Yes I boiled. There's no way I'm over feeding. Had a problem with the nitrite so I wasn't feeding daily and sparingly.

image-306461666.jpg

That's the best I can do- it branches out to 2 separate fluffs.

Attachments

• image-1752207230.jpg
    image-1752207230.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 55
I googled it- I guess a lot of ppl has had issues with this. It's just fungus and they say it won't harm the fishes.

This has been an interesting thread for me. I was so sure it was planaria as the photos match that. Googled hydra after that was mentioned. Today's a real learning experience. ;)

I googled it- I guess a lot of ppl has had issues with this. It's just fungus and they say it won't harm the fishes.

Yes, but on some other sites, I've seen it spread through the substrate and eventually start clogging up filters ~ not saying yours is the same as some of the others, just warning you of possibilities.

This has been an interesting thread for me. I was so sure it was planaria as the photos match that. Googled hydra after that was mentioned. Today's a real learning experience. ;)

Any day we learn something new is a good day ;).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom