Unsure about cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to cycle an 18.75 gallon tank in a fishless cycle using fish food. The most I can get ammonia up to is 0.50 ppm. Should I just add pure ammonia instead? I'm starting to run out of fish food and the gravel looks unsightly.

Keep in mind you don't need much pure ammonia , here's a good article on doing a fishless cycle: https://www.algone.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling. Id highly recommend using Seachem Stability for your beneficial bacteria, and dose daily to your tanks size, along with doing a full water change before starting with using the pure ammonia. test every two to three days, once the ammonia drops to zero and you have plenty of nitrites you'll know the cycle is moving right along. Don't over do water changes as it can stall a cycle, 20 - 25% weekly or so.

Ok, sounds good! I've already done a gravel vacuum/water change before I did the ammonia. I've read some other articles that live bacteria aren't necessary, so I'm going with just the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom