Unsure of what fish to put in my new 29gal, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hansen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a 29 gallon tank today, got an appropriate filter, heater, the whole deal. One of my friends gave me her old filter cartage so I could put fish in today. I have a single guppy and a rather large albino bristle nosed pleco, and three mystery snails right now. I am planning on waiting for my tank to cycle more before I really stock more fish in it. But im excited, so im looking for ideas. What would be appropriate for a tank this size? My only other tank is a 4 gallon, so im not used to having all this room for different fish species. C:

Congrats on the new tank!! I got another 29 recently myself.

With yours I'd add a few more guppies to the mix. While they aren't schooling fish they do prefer to have company.

I think it'd be awesome if you did a planted tank with a pair of apistos like agassi's or GBR's and a couple different schools of tetras, like neons and rummy nose and a schoal of cories as well. That's what I'd like to so with mine eventually.

One Word, Platys : ) seriously look into them, they are a good looking fish, with good colors, they are fairly peaceful as long as u keep a 1:3 male/female ratio(just learned that lesson) and they will eat algea : ), just a suggestion but im new to all this as well, i have a 29 gallon tank aswell and my platys seem very happy and they have done wonders for keeping the tank tidy

Don't make the mistake I made, I got two groups of large sized tetras and almost stocked my tank, to give you an idea, this is what I'm doing
Schooling fish 1- glow light tetras
Top schooling fish- harlequin rasboras
Centerpiece- dwarf gourami
Co centerpiece velvet wag swordtail
"Side" fish, oto cats
Bittom feeders- kuhli loaches
Bn pleco
Bolivian ram
Centerpiece bottom fish- spotted Raphael catfish
It might sound like a lot, but see, the tetras are on the small side, and I picked fish that will be at all levels, top, middle, bottom, even sides lol so that your tank won't seem so empty

Back
Top Bottom