update on my 92g corner discus tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys the plants in my tank are growing nicely except a few of them.. I keep getting green spot algae on all the plants below my lighting, and ive tried reducing the lighting by turning two of the power compacts off and reducing the photo period but it isn't doing anything. I don't think lighting has anything to do with GSA because get it in a tank with just a single T8 tube as well. And my 55g tank has 4X T5 lights on it running like 12 hours a day and it doesn't have a spec of algae.

The Green spot algae is over taking my plants and killing them, my S repens doesn't grow anymore and same with a few other plants.. Its on the Anubias as well, but it doesn't seem to touch the red water lilly I have. Nore does it touch the water sprite you see in the back ground.

Anyway, I got this tank for my discus a few months ago and its grown out so what do you all think ? Should I change something ? Im like one of those people who get bored of a scape in a tank easily and change it around..

I could flip the driftwood around, Right now its upright and well you can see its a big stump I found actually and make for lots of good hiding place and separation of the front and back of the tank.. And I put a couple pieces of slate on top of it to sink it and to anchor the water sprite. I haven't trimmed the water sprite yet at all as I wanted it to grow out.. Now it looks like I have a big tree in my tank, but im unsure if I should trim it short or let it continue to grow. If I flip the wood around itll have a spikey look to it you know ? because it has tons of roots on it. What do you guys think of the tank ?..

If I flip the wood it might float still so I dunno how ill anchor it, but once I figure that out I was thinking of centering the wood in the tank vs pushing it in the back and tying the water sprite to all the root spikes and making like a seaweed forest look. The 2nd pic is the wood what it looks like upside down

img_3235588_0_5fc47e724a6c7ebb6701be8f7084dfae.jpg

img_3235588_1_8530304a1d2846df28ae5620c7fb6097.jpg

Ditto. You could plant the bottom a little more, but that tank looks great as is.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yea I had planned the bottom to be planted with S repens, you can see I have some left still, but like I said the green spot algae is killing all of it.. and I dunno how to get rid of it. No I don't use CO2, I don't like using ferts with my discus either, but I found if I don't my plants turn white from lack of some nutrient most likely iron or potassium I think.. So I dose half a dose of iron and flourish for a tank this size and they seem to grow just fine. Minus green spot algae which I really hate

I am not really familiar with green spot algae and cannot really see it in the pics. Are you sure it is not blue green algae, aka cyanobacteria?

GSA is most common on the glass, I've had it myself for a while. It could be BBA or GHA getting to your stars.

Great job on the tank though.

Co2 will help fight the algae along with fertilizers so you don't run into deficiencies.

Caleb

No trust me it isn't black beared algae lol or any hair algae. I have Siamese Algae eaters in my tank and they pick any hair algae clea.. Its green spot algae.. It rarely gets on the glass.. Its on the plants though.. Circular green spots trust me.

here isa pic of it on my anubias, its all over my S repens and that plants you see left of my anubias. It smothers the leaves and the plants eventually die..

img_3235897_0_c91ddcfaa0e00701410886d20426640d.jpg

What are your WC regime? I found that my tanks began to have GSA on my plants after i skip 2 months on WC. Although my 4ft tank is heavily planted, i was keeping baby altum angels and i need to feed alot to them. High nutrient in the water without water change could have resulted in more GGA

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

What are your WC regime? I found that my tanks began to have GSA on my plants after i skip 2 months on WC. Although my 4ft tank is heavily planted, i was keeping baby altum angels and i need to feed alot to them. High nutrient in the water without water change could have resulted in more GGA

Considering this is discus I doubt it goes longer than a week without a water change.

Caleb

Considering this is discus I doubt it goes longer than a week without a water change.

Caleb
Discus needs to be fed alot and maybe his water change regime does not match the output of his discus.
Can try shift your light higher away from the tank or shade your lights abit. Also all anubias when keep directly under high light will surely have some GSA. Anubias needs to be kept under some shades to maintain algae free. As for the s. Repen, not sure why its in this condition

I change 80% of the water every 3 to 4 days, no I cant raise the lights, they don't have stands, and the hood I custom made for me I could possibly get some smaller pieces of wood I used to make the hood and use them as stilts for my lights, but I don't see how that would help going up another 2-3 inches..

I guess I can try to keep the lighting period less. I hate only having my lights on for like 6-8 hours a day because it defeats the point of being able to view my fish specially in the evening/night hours

Back
Top Bottom