Update on turquoise rainbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
Update, now the turquoise rainbow has one eye that's completely white, like he went blind in it, im so disappointed right now as I believe it's his age as he's approx 5-6 years old I don't know what to do anymore, it's not Popeye it looks like a cateract I'll try to get a picture, the cyst is just getting more red as well

Update, now the turquoise rainbow has one eye that's completely white, like he went blind in it, im so disappointed right now as I believe it's his age as he's approx 5-6 years old I don't know what to do anymore, it's not Popeye it looks like a cateract I'll try to get a picture, the cyst is just getting more red as well

PS. it says file to large weird I've always put files in here it is kinda bulging now that I look closer sorry about the pics I just fed them and he's fast

Rainbows eye https://imgur.com/a/bDONt
Rainbows eye 3 https://imgur.com/a/n9nHG

I have an EBA that has one completely clouded eye.
He is not old and there are no other issues in the tank.
I expect him to live out his life blind in one eye.He seems to be adapting well.
If the eye swells and looks like pop eye also I would say something bacterial is a miss.
Most articles say that columnaris has a 32 day life span without a host ,but that doesn't explain away the fact that the catfish industry is losing tens of millions of dollars every year to this dreaded issue.
It is their believe NOW that it is seasonal. Having had columnaris once years ago I tend to agree.IMO winter and spring is columnaris season in force for us tankers..
I also almost always roll with columnaris as the different 4 types of infection[ possibly now 5] can be very difficult to ID and the treatment for it will work on almost any bacterial issue.I also now roll with if I had to treat it would be for no less then 10 days..
Sorry you are having such problems ,and I could be off by a mile but your tanks history and what I see leads to my comment.
Good luck and don't give up..We need more people to properly educate all of us on this issue and any help/experience is valuable even if it is difficult to fell like you are helping others...You are helping ,believe me...
Tom

I have an EBA that has one completely clouded eye.
He is not old and there are no other issues in the tank.
I expect him to live out his life blind in one eye.He seems to be adapting well.
If the eye swells and looks like pop eye also I would say something bacterial is a miss.
Most articles say that columnaris has a 32 day life span without a host ,but that doesn't explain away the fact that the catfish industry is losing tens of millions of dollars every year to this dreaded issue.
It is their believe NOW that it is seasonal. Having had columnaris once years ago I tend to agree.IMO winter and spring is columnaris season in force for us tankers..
I also almost always roll with columnaris as the different 4 types of infection[ possibly now 5] can be very difficult to ID and the treatment for it will work on almost any bacterial issue.I also now roll with if I had to treat it would be for no less then 10 days..
Sorry you are having such problems ,and I could be off by a mile but your tanks history and what I see leads to my comment.
Good luck and don't give up..We need more people to properly educate all of us on this issue and any help/experience is valuable even if it is difficult to fell like you are helping others...You are helping ,believe me...
Tom
Theres no other fish in the tank that has anything thing going on with them, his eye was perfectly fine yesterday so I'm curious if maybe him chasing other fish he might of injured it? If you saw the other pictures of his tail he has what looks to be a cyst in the exact same spot on both eyes of his tail, I looked up the life span of rainbows and its 5-6 years ago that's why I thought it could be age but not over night, also what I've read if a fish lives through columanaris they become immune to it (don't know if it's true and proven) but he did survive when I had it before (if it was columanaris) but if I go through that again I will turn my tank into a flower pot as I don't have the money to replace every fish in my tank again + everything else, I don't want to give up the hobby as I enjoy it but I just can't understand why these things happen when I take extremely good care of my tank.

If you think bacteria what would you treat with?

It is true that the thought once cured the fish is immune , BUT they are also then considered a 'sub clinical' carrier so something might be going on..
I do believe age can take a fish quickly [overnight ] if there is any underlying issue that can take advantage of the weakened fish ?
Not saying the fish has columnaris,just saying I might treat it like it did if I didn't have a better option..
Good luck
Tom

I agree with Bandit that Columnaris is likely responsible for many sudden unexplainable deaths in the aquarium. It seems to rot the fish from the inside first and by the time the outward symptoms are visible, it's too late.
Potluck, in your Rainbows case, considering he is swimming normally and eating, I can't help but think his sudden onslaught of ailments are from a weakened immune system due to his advanced age. Just remember we all have these obstacles to overcome.
Full disclosure, 3 out of 4 of my juvenile Red Texas Cichlids I bought 3 weeks ago suddenly died. No outward symptoms. Just stopped eating and passed the next day. Went back to the LFS and found that the remaining Red Texas Cichlids looked unhealthy and not many left. I believe Columnaris to be the bug. $16 bucks a peice. Haven't had an outbreak in years.
For what it's worth, when an outbreak does occur all I do to treat is more frequent, larger WC's.
It seems to work as well as the meds I have tried. The last med I used was the old standard, Formalin. Great for parasites. I've had zero success with any meds reference bacterial infections.

I agree with Bandit that Columnaris is likely responsible for many sudden unexplainable deaths in the aquarium. It seems to rot the fish from the inside first and by the time the outward symptoms are visible, it's too late.
Potluck, in your Rainbows case, considering he is swimming normally and eating, I can't help but think his sudden onslaught of ailments are from a weakened immune system due to his advanced age. Just remember we all have these obstacles to overcome.
Full disclosure, 3 out of 4 of my juvenile Red Texas Cichlids I bought 3 weeks ago suddenly died. No outward symptoms. Just stopped eating and passed the next day. Went back to the LFS and found that the remaining Red Texas Cichlids looked unhealthy and not many left. I believe Columnaris to be the bug. $16 bucks a peice. Haven't had an outbreak in years.
For what it's worth, when an outbreak does occur all I do to treat is more frequent, larger WC's.
It seems to work as well as the meds I have tried. The last med I used was the old standard, Formalin. Great for parasites. I've had zero success with any meds reference bacterial infections.
I hate that word, I lost 29 fish in 3 weeks about 4 years ago, I paid $16.00 for my rainbows as well, its not really the money it's I keep my tank immaculately clean(besides my intake tubes cause i always forget to clean them lol) And my water parameters are always 100% perfect, he's older, now he's just swimming on one side of the tank by himself but gets excited for food and eats healthy, I did gradually lower my tank temp to 75 because bacteria grows/spreads slower below 76, I can't do 74 because my house is always 75 (sucks but I have elderly people that like it warmer).

I don't know weather it's best to euthanize him In case it is columanaris that way it can't spread through my whole tank unless it's like ich and already contaminated the tank, or to bomb the tank with malechite /formalin, or furan 2 and the other one that you use with it when treating for columanaris, I'm not very good with what to use for what disease /illness as I haven't really had many, columanaris once but after all my fish died I took a few dead fish into an advanced lfs that did scrapings and said it was, then I had 2 angels die a year later from a fungus no one could help me with and after I did research all I needed to do was add formalin/malechite blue I think they said and ich and that's it besides a few fish that got bloat even I first started because I had crap filters no test kit and very poor water quality.

I guess I have just been really bummed since my clowns died from the ich, I do 35% weekly now instead of 30%, so I'm just looking for what I need to do to save my fish, what meds, do I add salt, etc etc I don't know what it is, his eye was perfectly fine 15 hours ago, it looks like there's a protective lens over it or something, I'm just not good at diagnosing things like this cause there's so many things that cause the same outward symptoms.

Here are my water Parameters again as I just checked them

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 (dropped down cause my water change)
Kh 6
Gh 6
Ph 7.5
Phosphate 1.6

I noticed that your tank is very clean and well aquascaped. I keep my tanks at 74-75 degrees too as to lessen aggression and breeding behavior between my larger cichlids.
Regarding your Rainbow, IMO with the advent of the new eye problem it's apparent that he is on a downward spiral and probably would be best to put him out of his misery.

I noticed that your tank is very clean and well aquascaped. I keep my tanks at 74-75 degrees too as to lessen aggression and breeding behavior between my larger cichlids.
Regarding your Rainbow, IMO with the advent of the new eye problem it's apparent that he is on a downward spiral and probably would be best to put him out of his misery.
Still working on plants, beginner plants just anubias and trying to get my clipping of an amazon sword to grow and a flame leaf sword and ty fur the compliment , I know things happen with fish as they do with humans, illnesses for no reason etc etc, but I just hate the fact I work my tail off to keep everything right and I don't know how to fix it when things Happen.

Still working on plants, beginner plants just anubias and trying to get my clipping of an amazon sword to grow and a flame leaf sword and ty fur the compliment , I know things happen with fish as they do with humans, illnesses for no reason etc etc, but I just hate the fact I work my tail off to keep everything right and I don't know how to fix it when things Happen.
Okay so I did notice he did have a white spot starting on his side that looked like a fungus, I did elect to euthanize him due to he was being worse by the hour, going from chasing fish to, eating, to being dormant abs at the surface in a darker area of the tank, was very hard for me to do as he was my oldest fish, maybe in just to attached to them Idk, so new question.

With what I've seen on him with the cyst, eye, and looked like a small spot of fungus starting, should I dose the tank with anything or just do 50% weekly and monitor the fish, and how long should I wait to slowly restock the rainbows (I went bulk last time and bought 6 at once) gonna buy 2 at a time with a few weeks maybe a month in between to get a total of 6-7

Back
Top Bottom