Updated Question!! Powerhead with filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelfool

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would like to replace my Fluval3Plus filter with a HOB Penguin Bio. Does anybody have one of these? They seem to be rated really high and I've read lots of good reviews.

I plan on buying my new filter online because I live in Japan and going to a LFS is not very convenient for me, and I can't understand the Japanese writing on the packaging.

My problem is, I have a coffee table tank and I need to be sure that a HOB filter will fit in the gap that I have between the edge of the table and the glass table top. The gap is 1.5 inches deep.

Does anyone have this kind of filter that they can take some measurements on for me?? Can someone tell me how high this filter sticks up above the lip of the tank??
Thanks for any help!!!
Sandy

1.5 inches doesn't sound like very much for a HOB. I have a Penguin 400 and it is at least that deep. Jeff

Yes, I am realizing this. The Aquaclear HOB filter is the closest I have found. That one sits 2 inches above the lip of the tank, but that's still too high. I can't exactly just leave the top off the table, because then it's just a big bathtub for my curious cat and 9 month old daughter to play in... not to mention, my goldfish would probably jump out.

I have no idea what kind of filtration to use. I've been looking at filters for a week and I am so overwhelmed!

PowerHead with Filter attachment! Has anyone used this??

I'm sooo excited! I think I found a solution to my problems...

If I use an Aqua Clear power head and attach a quick filter to it, would that provide all the necessary filtration that I would need for my tank?
I think it would definitely provide the water circulation and aeration that I am needing. I'm thinking I could put two powerheads with attached filters in there, one at each end of the tank.

Here are some links for the filter.
http://www.petmeister.com/item937.htm
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?page=filters.shtml&&cart_id=

I have the quickfilter and a 201 powerhead. they do pretty good at mechanical filtering. Not sure it would provide enough bio filtration. The center part might take some sort of bio media but not a lot of it. I believe it is meant to be used more as a secondary filter. That is how I use it.
If your coffee table tank has a ugf or other bio filter the quickfilter would be perfect for you.
I dont see how a hob would fit on this type of tank.
Is there anyplace right next to the tank to place a canister type filter and be out of the way?

I don't have anywhere to put a canister filter. It would have to sit on the floor, and then my 9 month old daughter would think it was a new toy. If I use a powerhead with a quickfilter, what could I use for bio filtration? Maybe a sponge filter or something?
Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom