upgrading aquarium To deal with snails or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in the works of upgrading my 29g community aquarium up to a 55g next week or so. My question is would it be worth it to deal with a pond snail infestation that is currently in my 29g?

I have a small population of assassin snails that are helping keep the population down to manageable numbers and a turtle that seems to enjoy eating any extras that pop up. Would it be better to leave it alone and keep my BB safe on my current substrate or would you treat everything to get rid of the snails.

I am in the works of upgrading my 29g community aquarium up to a 55g next week or so. My question is would it be worth it to deal with a pond snail infestation that is currently in my 29g?

I have a small population of assassin snails that are helping keep the population down to manageable numbers and a turtle that seems to enjoy eating any extras that pop up. Would it be better to leave it alone and keep my BB safe on my current substrate or would you treat everything to get rid of the snails.

Soon I'll be in the same boat as you. Later this year I'll be moving and my 29 has way too many mts! And i plan on setting up a 55. My assassins are controlling them ok. IMO, if you have the money, I'd redo everything. New sand,if that's what you have, decor and dip my live plants in peroxide. so to answer your question: yes I think it would be worth it lol.

You can get rid if the snails by floating a lettuce leaf in the tank over night, ad take it out the next day, repeat this if there's more. Snails are just naturally attracted I lettuce.? If you want to help, dip the plants in peroxide as said before

I tried a few different veggies to get the snails out but they ignored anything I put in there in leiu of my dense foliage in the tank.

Dipping the plants in peroxide (or everything) can help make any snail eggs fall off an dissolve off wherever they were, so then all you need to do is make sure there or no actual snails on the decor or anything when you transition.

Back
Top Bottom