upgrading filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyote5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to have something clarified. I am looking at upgrading my filter on an established tank. if I replace the old with the new it would be like sending my tank through a cycle all over again correct? Now if I understand that correctly is there a good way to do it?

It depends. If you are using a canister, just swap the insides and you're set. If you using a HOB, just run both filters for 1-2 weeks, and you'll be able to avoid the mini cycle.

they would be HOB filters. I have my moms 2 10g tanks that have puny filters on them that i feel dont do jack. I wanted to upgrade to say a marineland Bio-Wheel or something along those lines rated for a 20 or 30g tank. I would have to remove the cover on the tank to put both HOB filters on.

If you have room in the new filter (those big AC's are great for this), you can just take the filter pad out of the old & stuff it into the new (next to the new filter). You have to make sure that both filter pads get water circulation. If you can manage that, you can just run the new filter on its own. I would wait a few weeks & then ditch the old filter pads. <Or better yet, keep it in there indefinitely ... you will then always have a seeded filter for QT or a hospital tank.>

+1 for jsoong. There's generally enough room in a decent filter to stuff the old filter media for a month or two. I seeded a new cartridge for my 5g hex by sticking it in my Penguin 200B for a month.

thanks, those are what Im looking at are the penguin filters. both tanks have aquaclear 10's on them now and honestly I dont feel like they are doing anything. I will shove the filter media in the new ones for a while and hope for the best. thanks for clearifying that guys

Both tanks have aquaclear 10's on them now and honestly I dont feel like they are doing anything.

There's your problem. Try an AC30 instead. Manufacturers rate their filters for very lightly stocked tanks. As a rule of thumb, take the manufacturer's rating and cut it in half. I've got an AC70 on my 29g, an AC50 on my 20L, and an AC30 on my 20H. I actually question if the AC30 is enough filter. I think I'd actually prefer an AC50.

Yep I understand.. These are my moms tanks and one has a bunch of guppy's and the other has some goldies.... Im looking at the marineland Bio Wheel filters. I have had real good luck with my 350B's on my 55.

The Penguins are good filters. They just don't hold up to sand as well as the AquaClears do. I had a 200B on my 29g, but it sucked up some sand and ate two impellers. That's really the only reason I switched.

My tank just finished cycling and while the HOB filter I have is adequate if I had to do it over I'd oversize it.

So I'm thinking in a few of weeks or so going from a TopFin 30 on my 20g to an Aquaclear 300. I don't want to have both running at the same time as I don't want to cut up my hood so I was thinking of leaving out the carbon portion of the Aquaclear out and putting the floss/bio bag from the Topfin in the spot Aquaclear reserves for the carbon.

The tank has a lot of plants in it so I don’t’ plan on using carbon anyway. Would this prevent any re-cycling? I’m thinking this would be fine as the bacteria laden filter is moving intact to the new one and the bacteria is in the gravel and on the driftwood/rocks anyway. Does that seem logical or am I missing something?

your going to want to have both filter media in there, old and new. take the old out after about a month and you should be ok

Back
Top Bottom