Upgrading from 5.5 to 25 gallon aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishynewbee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need help upgrading my common goldfish from his (her?) current 5.5 gallon Topfin tank to a newly purchased 25 gallon Aqueon tank. My boys "won" our goldfish a little over a year ago at a fair. He was just a bitty thing and now he's about 5 inches, including his tail. In his current tank, he has gravel, 3 river rocks and a small ornament. He usually has an anacharis plant, too, but I have been unable to replace his last one since he ate it all up.
I have purchased an Aqueon 25 gallon kit which contains an Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 HOB filter. I have also purchased 25 lbs of gravel. A large ornament, an air pump and airstone are on their way to us. I plan on purchasing more anacharis plants plus adding java fern and moneywort when healthy-looking stock becomes available at our local store.
I read that I should just put "Sargen" (named by my 5 year old) in some water and just transfer everything to the new tank, add more dechlorinated tap water to fill and simply put Sargen into his new home. Is that the best way to do things?
I have not changed the filter cartridge in the Topfin 10 filter in some time thinking I could make use of that for the new setup. Is it okay to to put the old filter with the very dirty cartridge on the new tank with the new filter?
Also, should I put all the new stuff (new gravel, new ornament, airstone, plants) into the 25 gallon tank right away?
I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thank you!!

You sound like you have a very good plan. Most definitely move the old sponge across - either into your new filter next to the new sponge, or put your old filter in along with your new one. That way, you keep your bacteria which can happily colonise your new filter. Put your fish somewhere safe, transfer everything you need to transfer, up to you if you move your water or not, I put fresh clean water in my new tank when I upgraded my goldfish. I also put my old filter in with my new filter so both are in there - that way I have a mature filter ready to go if I need to set up my small tank at short notice, and my new tank didn't need to cycle as the old filter carried all the bacteria across. :)

Thanks so much for your help!

Another silly question ... The new aquarium has a "versa-top" glass top and a separate, clear plastic piece that attaches to the glass top. The smaller tank just has an empty spot in the hood where the filter fits. I suppose I have to cut the clear plastic piece so that I can hang the filter(s) on the back, right? What should I use to cut the plastic? Would scissors work? Would it be okay to leave that plastic strip off (assuming it's not needed to hold the glass top on) and just have a section of the tank open to the air??

Sorry for my ignorance! Thanks, again!

I would deffinatley put both filters just for the extra filtration and if you ever do start new tank you have a seeded filter...and as for the plastic part on my 5.5 gallon I just left that off because I didn't want to have to deal with cutting out a spot for the filter airline and heater and it seems to do just fine

I have yet a couple of more questions ... sorry!

What's the best way to take my fish out of his tank and put him into the new tank? I think he's too big for the net -- I'm afraid it might hurt him. And, could I keep him in like a bucket or a big bowl of dechlorinated water while I get the new tank ready? Is there anything I can do to lessen the shock of the new home for him?

Thank you again for all of your help!

Are you putting the new tank where the old one was? Just thinking, a 5.5g, with half the water removed and a steady hand could *possibly* be moved. Or, take your fish out into a bucket, drain the water, move the little tank, refill it and put the fish back until you're ready to stick him in his new home. If you're worried about the net, what about catching him in a big cup? Or even pick him out by hand? That all should minimise the stress. When he's in his new home, just keep the lights out until the next morning, let him settle down in his own time.

Back
Top Bottom