Upgrading to 50 gallon tank, How long to cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nopsia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two cichlids in a 20 gallon tank (electric yellow, and a grey female "peacock cichlid". They have been in there for about 3 weeks to a month so its already cycled good. I made the rookie selfish choice of putting them in their 24 hours after using bottled water and de chlorinating it, but they survived and are healthy now. Now i am ready to upgrade their tank to a 50 gallon one. The new tank has a built in filter in back with many slots for filter, heater, bio balls, etc. I got everything set up right last night, and threw in African chichlid mix sand that i got at petsmart. I used Seachem prime, and API Quick start to get the cycle going. I used plain Tap water instead of the bottled water i used for the 20 gallon tank. Some people tell me i dont have to worry to much because there freshwater but i want to make sure i have a healthy home for them. i guess my question would be, How long shall i let 50 gallon run for before adding the african chiclids? I know its not too relavant of a question but maybe i can get a few answers..

Thank you :fish1:

PS: The bigger grey female peacock rules the tank and wont let the smaller electric yellow come out so thats why im trying to make this happen asap but doing it right..

Letting a tank run won't cycle it; it needs an ammonia source, either from fish or from you adding pure ammonia. Since this is an upgrade, what you can do is move the filter from the 20 gal to the 50 gal and run it alongside the new filter OR take the media out from the 20 gal filter and add it to the new filter. EIther way will bring the bacteria over from the 20 gal to the 50 gal which should keep it cycled for the fish you have now. Then just move the fish over. When you add more fish though, do it slowly and test the water daily for any toxin spikes and do extra water changes as needed.

Lets say i moved the filter from the 20 gallon to the 50 gallon tank to seed some bacteria. How long should i leave it running in the new tank before considering adding the fish? The problem is i only have one filter from the 20 gallon so they would be filterless if it matters.. I just wonder how long id have to run the filter and let other decorations sit in new tank before its safe to add them. I just filled up the new tank 2 nights ago.. maybe adding the filter would somewhat cycle the tank in a few hours or days? thats the question.. Thanks for the replies! its appreciated

OK if I'm reading what you posted above correctly your moving the fish from the 20g into the 50g so that would mean that the 20g will be empty. With that in mind you can transfer the fish from the 20g directly into the 50g AND place the filter that was on the 20g on the 50g this will cause the tank to act like a cycled tank since all the Beneficial Bacteria are already in the filter from the 20g. After a good 2 weeks minimum to a month you can relocate the 20g filter back to the 20g tank if you wish to keep fish in the 20g as well.

OR

You can remove the filter media from the 20g filter and place that into the filter for the 50g and move your fish into the 50g right after your done. If you plan to add fish to the 20g in the future you can build up the BB in the new 20g filter media by adding pure ammonia to the 20g. that will help rebuild the BB that are left in the tank in a couple of days I'd still wait 2 weeks before adding fish to that tank if you go that route.

So if i put the filter from the 20 into the 50 it would most likely be safe to add fish later on that day after all the waters been filtered through the bb filter and doing water testing? im just wondering how long it might take to make the 50 gallon "cycled" enough for fish..

Thanks

you could add the fish as soon as the 20g filter is up and running in the 50.

I'd give the 50 a good week or two to cycle with both filters running then you can put the 20g filter back on the 20g tank.

Any reason why you looking to rush the process? I getting the feeling that your trying to rush things.

Ok that sounds good.. I guess im just exited to see them have more room and not have to hog the tank and shoo off eachother.. Im not really in a rush.. thats why im trying to make sure it would be safe to add the fish same day as established filter. If it wasnt safe i would wait it out. but thanks for your help.. it really helped (y)

ahh ok guess I misinterpreted your excitement.

as long as the old filter is in there running in the new 50 you should be good to go since there is enough BB to handle their bio load, still leave both filters running for at least 2 weeks to make sure the new filter gets time to develop some BB of it's own. I'd even seed some established media from the old filter into the new one to make sure the BB colonize the new filter.

Glad to help and can't wait to see some pics of your fish in their new home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom