Upgrading to a 125 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The moment has finally arrived... Drained about 50% of water. Transfered a couple of the decoration pieces from the old tank into the new one. Also while the water level was low adjusted the heaters to about 76° F. Also lowered the temperature of heater in the old tank to match. Refilled and added the dechlorinator. A light white fog appeared dimming the crystal clear water. Dosed a quarter ounce ammo... Shouldn't change chem much...

Prior to the pwc, had transferred three Nerite Snails, two Mystery Snails, a Rainbow Nano and a Silver Lyretail Molly.

The snails are roaming the tank. Their scaly cohabitants aren't used to extra room, but they are moving about.

20190725_085321.jpg

The fog has lifted for the most part this morning. Chased down a few aquatic denizens to migrate them to their new eatery home. I may need to throttle the flow from filter output or disperse it some other way.

20190726_062412.jpg20190726_062623.jpg

So far so good... Clarity is returning to the new aquatic world. Ammo and nitrites are zero. Nitrates appear to have dropped to 20 ppm since this morning. So all is well.

There are also a few new denizens...

Two Octo Cat (not shown)
Three Albino Cory Cats
One ??? Cory Cat
Three Golden Lyretail Mollies
Two Blue Mystery Snails

20190726_155137.jpg20190726_154331.jpg20190726_154259.jpg20190726_154103.jpg

I wanted to get a Redtail Shark, but they aren't good with the mixture I have.

Last edited:
All transplanties have been successfully relocated to their new aquatic world. One almost did not make it. I netted one of the Amano Shrimp and just as the net broke the surface of the water it jumped out. After a few minutes of frantically searching for it on the floor, I didn't see it, so I assumed it fell back in tank. I continued with the capture and release process. The old tank is now empty of its inhabitants and the escapee is nowhere to be seen.

Once again began searching the floor. Gingerly moving items around. Then I spotted it walking on the floor. Grabbed the net and captured it. Plopped it in the tank. It quickly flitted away. Now all are accounted for.

The uppity Glofish Tetras are busy parading about strutting their bright colors. The Albino Cories are busily swimming from end to end and challenging the bubbles along the way. The Otto Cats are simply hanging about, moving to a new location every now and then. The Amanos are picking away at seemingly invisible stuff. The Nanos have found each other and content with a group huddle. The Silver Mollies have returned to chasing each other and displaying their beautiful sails. The newer Golden Mollies seem content congregating with the other citizens of the deep. The Nerite and Mystery Snails are resting at the moment, except for the two newest members. I think the Blue Mystery Snails are dead or dying. They have not moved since being placed in the tank yesterday afternoon.

And then there is the Trilineatus Cory. It seems content laying on the sandy bottom. Every so often swimming from end to end.

I think that is everyone. The tank chems seem to be ok. Ammo and Nitrites are still zero. Nitrates are slowly rising. All is well.

20190727_070923.jpeg20190727_071338.jpg20190727_071604.jpg20190727_071710.jpg20190727_081017.jpg

Last edited:
I have found the only way to truly tell if a snail is dead is to smell it. Once you get that dead snail smell in your nose you will ALWAYS be able to tell [emoji2961]
IF you have the room(don't remember how big the tank is) increasing each group of Cories to 4 will make them happier.

Just went back up to the beginning of the post and with 125g I'd say 6 of each Cory would be optimum

Well it would appear that both of the Blue Mystery Snails are alive. The second one finally moved after nearly 48 hours of being motionless, but these only seem to want to move about when the lights go out.

20190728_093741.jpg

Now the Blue Mystery snail that was motionless for over 48 hours mysteriously (pun intended) pops up all over the tank. I never see it on the move, but it will appear on either end of the tank, on substrate floor or the side glass.

Back
Top Bottom