Upgrading to a 210

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I have a few questions for you all. I'm thinking if upgrading to a 7ft tank(210g) from my 90g in the near future? and was wondering:
1. What skimmer do you recommend?
2. Can I use the sand that I have in my 90g now? Would I have to clean it if I do?
3. How should I go about moving all livestock into the new tank
4. Do I transfer the same water that's in the old tank into the new one?

This is the first time I do a move so lmk if there's anything else I'm missing. Thanks!

Do you recommend any skimmers for that size tank?

Well what's your price range... Because the skimmer I currently run is a little over $700

Bubble Magus Curve 7 or NAC8 could work depending in how you plan to stock. I just got a NAC5 for my 60g and like it. Very quiet, already skimming well after just a few days.

I would use as much from the old tank as possible. Is probably use the old water if the nitrates were not too high. Sand I would rinse most of, but would throw a few scoops in "dirty" for the bacteria. With both, you will obviously need more to fill the larger tank.

I would transfer fish in 5g buckets.

I recently upgraded my 60 gal to 150 gal with 72" foot print at the same spot. Here is what I did.
1. I Moved the live stock to 2 separate 20 gal plastic containers with LR and water from old tank. Heaters, power heads and lights were provided. I saved the remaining water to another containers since the params are good.
2. After the new stand and tank were in place, I do the preliminary aquascaping and added the new substrate which was rinsed a day before. I added about 3 cups of old sand without mixing with new sand. This is to transport some bb and minute cucs.
3. With the new water mixed with some old I let the tank run overnight without the skimmer.
4. Next day I made sure the params on both tanks and plastic containers are within tolerance before moving all the remaining LR and livestock to new tank, All corals remain attached to the original rocks.

It went smooth like a breeze.

So you didn't really have much of a cycle?

And idk I'm stressed about leaving my livestock in buckets overnight lol

So you didn't really have much of a cycle?

And idk I'm stressed about leaving my livestock in buckets overnight lol

As long as you have good water circulation and stable temp in the 20 gal plastic containers the live stock should be okay overnight. They still have the LR and the original saltwater and light so they should be comfortable. Make sure you do this while parameter is within tolerance. There will be no cycle since you still have the same LR and some original water. The additional saltwater would help reduce any spike. The new sand will just be gradually mature as it will be seeded by the LR and the 3 cups of old sand. BTW, I did not have to do a pwc for 2 weeks (no skimmer} after the move since my parameter seem to be good. You can gradually add more rocks and livestock as you go along. Just remember the basis for the LR is how much bioload you have.

Back
Top Bottom