Upgrading to a New tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edzykan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 60 gal. reef tank and am uprgrading to a 120 gal. reef tank with a sump. I bought an additional 60 pounds of live rock and am curing them in a seperate container. I also bought 120 lbs of caribsea live sand. My plan is to wait until my new rock is cured and add it to the new tank. The next steps is what I am unsure of. I still have alot of rock in my old tank with coral that needs transfered also. I really want to get my aquascaping done before i add the sand. will a cycle start without the sand in my new tank? I guess i can put sand in the refugium. Also after all my rock is removed from my old tank and i place it in the new tank and add sand finally. how long should i wait to add the fish from my old tank? will this stess the fish out meanwhile in my old tank having a empty tank with a sandbed only, while waiting to make sure the new tanks water quality is acceptable? I am getting stressed out thinking about the order to do things. Any help would be appreciated.

I am planning a similar upgrade this summer. I have the same question.

I might be wrong but you're gonna have somewhat of a cycle no matter what u do.. you're obviously going to have to add more water and the rest of your rock..

Id just do your scape first then add the sand and then just monitor ur parameters. Test daily and see where your numbers are. If you have a mini cycle then just do water changes until you're all set.. doesn't sound like a difficult process... just a lengthy one. I did that when I transferred my things from a 16G to a 29G.

You're actually in pretty good shape since you already have a smaller cycled tank. My suggestion is to do all the aquascaping, add the live sand and take about half to a fourth of the live rock in your existing system (without corals attached) and add that to the new tank to seed it. You will get a cycle, but it won't be as extreme as it would be with a brand new setup. Once everything is settled down, start moving your live stock over a period of time if you can do it that way.

Last edited:
Your looking at a few factors

1). Your letting your new rock cure allowing the die off to already happen. Good thing

2) you already have water and live rock that has the good bacteria already in it another good thing

3) you have live sand that has more good bacteria

Given those three things working in your favor I would aqua scape with the new rock first to get your base....then put the sand in. Then I would move the live rock from the old tank. I would remove the corals from the lr and just put them in the bottom of the old tank...that wa you can move all the lr over...then transfer a good portion of the old tank water to the new tank...obviously leaving enough for the fish and corals to stay In for a little bit..

Then add your new water...test your parameters....I would be surprised if you even saw a mini cycle and if you do it should be mini.

Thanks a lot for the advice. It was very helpful. I'm so excited, ups just dropped off my trigger systems ruby 36s sump. Now time to put a plumbing show on. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom