Upload quotas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Upload quotas? I have not run into this before. I will admit I have been uploading a lot of pictures lately to chronicle my tank setup and ID various things, but a 2 MB limit is...well...pretty limiting! :)

I'm curious if this is new? Are you having trouble with bandwith issues? Getting too expensive? Is there any way to get out of this limit? I'd be willing to consider making a donation...:)

Paul

Bandwidth is nothing but consitering the compressed backup of this site takes up over 3 gigs disk space is another story. While we are on our own dedicated server we still must use disk space judicuiously. The two meg file attachment limit has been in place since the creation of AA. A single donation ups that quota to 10mb. Do not forget you also have a gallery upload quota of 2mb aswell so that gives you up to 4mb of free storage on the server. With over 10,000 users if everyone used their limits thats 40,000mb or 40GB just for images. While the odds of that happening are very low one must still make some provisions to accomodate as many users as possible. In compairson bandwidth is cheap vs diskspace as the server has a fixed amount of disk space and when thtas close to being used up to get more space one must move to a new server.

Members have the ability to remove old photos that they have uploaded by going to their profile page and then clicking the attachment control panel link. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5483

Given the size of your images I can see how you would run out of space quickly as many of them are well over 150kb each. If you was able to reduce the overall file size of the images you would be able to upload more images within the quota. Instead of 8 images of 250kb in size you could have 20 images of 100kb in size.

Hmmm...I guess this is one of the downsides of having a high megapixel rating on my camera! All of those photos were uploaded at 20% of original size! :)

Thanks for your answer! If I was interested in making a donation, how would I do so? And are there set amounts that you ask?

Paul

Back
Top Bottom